Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am only stretched 1" but stock location of shocks has posed no problems.

·
Registered
249 Posts
^ the waggie springs are 2 inch offset? so how are you only stretched an inch? and if you now have moved the axle forward 2 inches, the stock location shock mount should not work since the shock will now be cocked to the side. only way i can see it working is if you made a shock mount tab and moved the shock back 2 inches that way. thats why I have made hoops to take care of the problem, just wondering if you guys had a secret or something I was overlooking

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
you can redrill the centering hole in the spring perch to move the axle forward/backward.. and the bottom of the shock is a simple loop end that can rotate 360° if necessary, the top is a bayonet style that can come in at a slight angle and not affect anything.

Assuming the bayonet end, with no modification exits the upper shock mount at a 90° angle, moving the axle forward several inches (depending on lift height) would only increase the angle at which the bayonet end enters the shock mount by several degrees; but not enough to where the stock mount would no longer work.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Exactly. Mine is offset drilled. Another way to get around it if you were worried is used an adapter that adapts the stud type to an eyelet style and orient it so it pivots in the correct direction.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Even then, with the amount of movement you can get out of an axle without entirely changing the type of suspension, you're going to have to address other more pertinent problems than a shock mounts, like steering interference, or overall interference with other vehicle components.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am actually using eyelet style with adapters but will be building hoops when i get a dana 44 built.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the write up, I plan on swapping in waggy leafs as well. It seems like people are SOA and doing this though. I'm spring under, all stock except a shackle lift. I'd like a couple more inches of lift, but I don't want to get new drive shafts and lines. Can I just add the wagoneer leafs to get the lift without the stretch, and if so how? Thanks

81 - 91 of 91 Posts