Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a stock 2011 JKU with a 6 speed, 3.73 gears, and 32" tires. I knew coming into this that the 2011 was an underpowered dog.

My question is are there any ways (other than adding a supercharger) to wake this thing up?

Normally the first place I would start would be with a CAI.

I'd just like a little pep driving around town. Is that too much to ask?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
regearing and programmers seem to be the two best options by most opinions here. CAI has also been described by the more knowledgeable folks as being a waste of time... I haven't tried anything to get more power out of mine, I'm more on off road guy and I like the torque :)

how long you got in?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
New gears. With the new throttle bodies being run by computer, CAI does little. When the computer sees more air it will adjust fuel to maintain a preset ratio. Unless you can find a tuner that will tune for a CAI, then a CAI is useless. Not to mention most allow more dirt into your intake.

For the most part, the 3.8 runs better at higher rpms and regearing get you that at a given speed over stock gears. At 70mph in a auto you will see as much as 30hp from 3.73 upgraded to 4.88 to 5.13 gears. The 3.8 has a pretty steep hp to rpm curve.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
If you've got a 6 speed, you're probably just shifting too soon. Let the RPMs hit 3k or more before you upshift. 4k+ if you really need to move. On the highway, stay in either 4th or 5th rather than 5th and 6th, which will keep the RPMs at 3k in 4th heading uphill and only drop you to 2400 or so in 5th on level surfaces. That'll do it.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
If you are really looking to wake up the JK and not worried to much about cost... the RIPP Supercharger does a great job!!

-Jason
I agree, but what is the best way to explain this:

You can take Lance Armstrong and put him on a tricycle with 8" wheels and no gearing and he can only go so fast. You have plenty of power, but it just cannot be supplied efficiently to where it is needed.

When I put my larger tires on, I considered a Ripp supercharger. But the power was not the problem, it was how I was using the power I already had. I think the benefits of a super charger would have been wasted.

Now that I have re-geared I think I am at a point where I could add a super charger and be able to actually transfer the addl HP to the ground.

So I believe I am putting Lance on bigger tires and offering a better ratio to effectively transfer that power to where it is needed. Putting 2 lances or a supercharged lance on the tricycle would not have made it go any faster..

Re-gear, then add a supercharger. I think that is the best solution, but certainly re-gear first.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,401 Posts
Re-gear, then add a supercharger. I think that is the best solution, but certainly re-gear first.

Yes, that is the way to do that. I guess my post should have been more spacific. I like the way you explanded it! Re-Gear then do the supercharger to get the most out of it! Also, the RIPP comes with a tuner as well to help get the most out of everything!

-Jason

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
How difficult is it to regear?
Should be done by a mechanic with regearing experience. Not every mechanic can do them. and then there is the cost question.. Um prepare to empty out your piggy bank and then a whole lot after that

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Heh Heh, if you regear "PROPERLY", you won't threaten your warranty (within reason) and you probably won't have to worry about a SC--

You can take Lance Armstrong and put him on a tricycle with 8" wheels and no gearing and he can only go so fast. You have plenty of power, but it just cannot be supplied efficiently to where it is needed.

When I put my larger tires on, I considered a Ripp supercharger. But the power was not the problem, it was how I was using the power I already had. I think the benefits of a super charger would have been wasted.

Now that I have re-geared I think I am at a point where I could add a super charger and be able to actually transfer the addl HP to the ground.

So I believe I am putting Lance on bigger tires and offering a better ratio to effectively transfer that power to where it is needed. Putting 2 lances or a supercharged lance on the tricycle would not have made it go any faster..

Yes, that is the way to do that. I guess my post should have been more spacific. I like the way you explanded it! Re-Gear then do the supercharger to get the most out of it! Also, the RIPP comes with a tuner as well to help get the most out of everything!

-Jason
A SC will most definately "VOID" (tough word) your warranty with any part of your drive train !!

Heh Heh look out-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
369 Posts
How many miles are on yours? This is truly an engine that likes breaking in... to the point where I find myself speeding where I didn't before.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts

But with Lance you are still only going to have one nut.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts