Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the 225/75/16 stock tires and I want to upgrade to 265/75/16 with an E rating.

I called to ask if they would flash the speedometer to reflect the new tire size. The woman at the counter seem to think I was asking her to roll back the mileage. So I asked for the manager.

He said they are not allowed to put anything on my Jeep JK other than 225/75s and 245/75s and nothing with a load rating of E.

He said it would exceed the "Safety factor". I asked what that was, he said that speed rating vs the load rating.

They would not put any Light Truck tire on a Jeep because if I got a blow out at 60 MPH the tire would explode.

so........

Yes, I know I shouldn't have bothered calling walmart.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
People still shop at Walmart?
Has anybody heard of this before?

I got on BG Goodrich's website and looked up KO2 by vehicle and some of the options (depending on which Wrangler JK you have) offers LT tires.

The Manager at Walmart said the reason I could find other tire shops in town was because they were not a multi-billion dollar company for lawyers to go after if I had a blow out.

Just to by something other than 225/75/16s or 245/75/16s (what his computer said were for my JKU). I had to sign a waiver, and under no circumstances would they install LT tires on a Jeep JK.

Apparently BG Goodrich hasn't gotten the memo..

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
It's a legal issue.. Costco won't install tires that are outside the factory installed tire specs either.

You think they'd get around it by having the customer sign a release for anything you wanted to insall.. But they don't.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yeah don't expect much from a TLE.
They have policies in place to keep the stupids from trying to blow themselves up.
And they don't have any way to flash any vehicle to correct a speedometer.

Your best bet would be to just bring the rims in to have tires mounted.
Deal with the rest of it on your own.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah don't expect much from a TLE.
They have policies in place to keep the stupids from trying to blow themselves up.
And they don't have any way to flash any vehicle to correct a speedometer.

Your best bet would be to just bring the rims in to have tires mounted.
Deal with the rest of it on your own.
I guess my larger question is, is this really a safety issue?

I have never done more than 70 MPH and generally keep it at 60 MPH on the highway.

I guess what I don't understand is how putting LT tires on a jeep is any different that putting LT tires on an F150 wtih an empty payload?

the manager acted as if I was asking him strap a bomb on the jeep.

Is anybody else here riding on 4 "bombs" under their jeep jks?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE :

Transcript from my conversation with BF Goodrich about this. (note, a JKU Freedom model was as close as I could find to what I wanted, but it met the load rating issue. (see below)

Visitor
Question about tires

05:44pm

Agent - Catrina
Hello, thank you for your interest in Michelin tires! I will be happy to assist you with that information.

05:44pm

Visitor
I see you are recommending 245/75R17 KO2s for my Jeep Wrangler JK.

05:45pm

Agent - Catrina
If that is what is on the page when you search your vehicle year, make and model, then yes. What is the vehicle year?

05:46pm

Visitor
2018 Jeep JKU Freedom

Agent - Catrina
I am showing the All-Terrain T/A KO2 as a recommended option.

Visitor
Are these considered LT / Light Truck tires?

05:47pm

Agent - Catrina
Yes, they are LT tire. If you notice on the website, there is a new recommended PSI when you install these tires.

05:47pm

Visitor
Ok, So Walmart tells me they are not allowed to installed Light Truck tires on a Jeep because of speed/safety rating. Please advise.

05:48pm

Agent - Catrina
I am not aware of the policy at Walmart. Plenty of Jeeps have KO2 or KM3 tires, You may need to find another dealer for the install.

05:49pm

Agent - Catrina
You may locate more dealers at https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/dealer-locator/dealer-locator.page

05:49pm

Visitor
Ok, thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its WalMart's policy, not BFG or Michelin or GoodYear.
I take it this is your 1st non-car vehicle, welcome to the other side.
Go to an actual tire store to bend the rules a bit.
My first 4WD. I've owned trucks before but never cared about the tires much.

At lunch I went to Midas, NTB, and AutoTire, just to ask and explain.

They all thought the question was nuts and Walmart had the Housewares manager working in the Auto department today.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My first 4WD. I've owned trucks before but never cared about the tires much.

At lunch I went to Midas, NTB, and AutoTire, just to ask and explain.

They all thought the question was nuts and Walmart had the Housewares manager working in the Auto department today.
No Offense but that kinda is your own fault for contemplating using Walmart to mount/install tires on your Jeep. I'll buy TP and an occasional razor from them perhaps but wouldn't dream of letting them touch my rig for any reason.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No Offense but that kinda is your own fault for contemplating using Walmart to mount/install tires on your Jeep. I'll buy TP and an occasional razor from them perhaps but wouldn't dream of letting them touch my rig for any reason.
fair enough. I did say in the original post it was a mistake. I would think mounting tires isn't exactly asking them to mill a new driveshaft or something.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
A friend of mine worked at Walmart changing oil and mounting tires. It is Walmart policy to only mount what tires came on the vehicle from the factory. The reason being is so many people have tried to mount aftermarket tires that are too big then they dont fit and blame walmart and want a refund. Or wreck their car or have a blow out and blame walmart and try to sue.

So walmart will no longer mount tires on a vehicle that are not supposed to be on it to protect their self from legal problems.

You can remove the tires and rims yourself and roll them in and they will mount them as long as the tires are new but they will not mount used tires.

And no walmart will not flash your computer they are not a dealer :rofl2:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Same thing with America’s tire/Discount tire
They won’t mount bigger tire that allowed by their computer
And that is funny considering their involvement in KOH, JKX, JLX etc.
They won’t even work on bead-locks

I had 4wd mount mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
It's a legal issue.. Costco won't install tires that are outside the factory installed tire specs either.

You think they'd get around it by having the customer sign a release for anything you wanted to insall.. But they don't.
Oh yes they will. It depends on your wheels. They won't install 35's on stock rims, due to the width of the wheel. Becareful on posting false info

Reactions: DaveRitsema

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh yes they will. It depends on your wheels. They won't install 35's on stock rims, due to the width of the wheel. Becareful on posting false info

Not only width but diameter too.
AM/Tire wouldn’t install 2”taller tire on Ram 1500 even that it has 10” clearance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A friend of mine worked at Walmart changing oil and mounting tires. It is Walmart policy to only mount what tires came on the vehicle from the factory. The reason being is so many people have tried to mount aftermarket tires that are too big then they dont fit and blame walmart and want a refund. Or wreck their car or have a blow out and blame walmart and try to sue.

So walmart will no longer mount tires on a vehicle that are not supposed to be on it to protect their self from legal problems.

You can remove the tires and rims yourself and roll them in and they will mount them as long as the tires are new but they will not mount used tires.

And no walmart will not flash your computer they are not a dealer :rofl2:
thanks, that is pretty much what they told me.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Local Costco manager flatly refused to install any tire differing from original equipment specs. IME Costco has the best tire prices but only for the bread+butter cars only.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Local Costco manager flatly refused to install any tire differing from original equipment specs. IME Costco has the best tire prices but only for the bread+butter cars only.
Same here, Costco refused to install one size bigger on wife’s Audi.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts