Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK then, I'll tell ya! :)

Traded in my trouble-free F150 on the 4th of July for a 2012 Rubicon with 19,000 miles. Drove it the 3-hour drive home and the check engine light came on.

I called the Jeep dealer here in town and they couldn't get me in until yesterday. They called yesterday and said that it was an O2 sensor, which wasn't covered under my Powertrain warranty (bumper-to-bumper had expired in April) and would cost me $250 total. I told them to go ahead and put it in. He said they didn't have the part in stock, but would have it by this morning, so they keep it there overnight.

They called me this afternoon and said that the O2 sensor didn't cause the check engine light to go off and they want to put a new cylinder head in on the RIGHT side. I asked if they meant to say the LEFT side, but he said that the left side had already had a new head installed at some point in the past, but the right side was causing the problem this time.

I told him to go ahead and do it. They need to order one, but he also said, "there's also a little bad news....our guy didn't realize the Jeep was in gear and when he took his foot off the brake, he ran into the wall. We're ordering you a new grill and left fender."

I have the Jeep back in my possession for now. the damage isn't anything I would even have immediately noticed - it's not bashed in or anything. I'm looking forward to getting home and rewinding my dashcam to see what happened. Everyone tells me how dumb it is to have a dashcam, but for $65, I figured it would probably come in handy. ;)

Is it common for the RIGHT cylinder head to cause problems on 2012s?

·
Registered
548 Posts
:rant:

Oh dear. I do hope the future brings more happiness. I do not have an answer to your question, but, glad I am not seeing you on the 6 o clock news.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, so it'll probably be next week when they get the cylinder head and the grille and fender in stock.

You think they'll still charge me the whole $250 for the O2 sensor installation, even though that wasn't the issue with my Jeep? Considering the pain in the ass of having them damage my vehicle, I'd like to think they'd give me a break on the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I would fight for the $250 back because they misdiagnosed it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
O2 sensor is covered under the federal emission warranty for 2yr/24,000 mile and under the California emission warranty if applicable, for 5yr/50,000 mi.

Do not pay for covered warranty repairs and "ineffective /misdiagnosis repairs".

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah, so it'll probably be next week when they get the cylinder head and the grille and fender in stock. You think they'll still charge me the whole $250 for the O2 sensor installation, even though that wasn't the issue with my Jeep? Considering the pain in the ass of having them damage my vehicle, I'd like to think they'd give me a break on the O2 sensor.
You are being robbed anyway. An 02 sensor is about $20.00 and not difficult.
Sounds like they are going to kill you on the labor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interested for the conclusion of this story. How much they end up charging you? Did they waive the sensor and labor? And where is the dashcam footage of your jeep attacking a wall?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't think you are obligated to pay for that repair (02 sensor). have them put the old one back in and tell them they need write the labor off as a "learning experience".

·
Registered
963 Posts
You are being robbed anyway. An 02 sensor is about $20.00 and not difficult.
Sounds like they are going to kill you on the labor.
long gone are the days of 20$ o2 sensors, modern heated o2 sensors run upwards of 100+ dollars plus hour labor most likely would bring you up around that number.

op its rare but right cylinder head can have issues just like the left. i saw maybe 1 right for every 10 left cylinder heads in my short stint at chrysler

sorry to hear about the dealer crashing it id make sure that nothing more is damaged specifically the inner fender well where the marker light in the fender is mounted as well as other delicate parts behind the grill

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the check engine light came on within three hours, you were bamboozled. The dealership most likely cleared the code, and the on board diagnostic took a little while to catch the problem. My brother had the same issue on his used Volvo, and the dealer ended up replacing the sensor for free. It probably wouldn't hurt to read up on the laws in Iowa to see if you have any sort of protection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts