Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
In the 3.8 that will not make enough difference to even make it worth it in my opinion. Hemi or LS swap time.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only mods I can think off hand right now would be

Intake (volant)
TB Spacer (Volant)
Exhaust (Rancho)
Headers (JBA)
Gears 4.88 (Yukon) Maybe not HP but definately better acceleration

·
Registered
335 Posts
The only mods I can think off hand right now would be

Intake (volant)
TB Spacer (Volant)
Exhaust (Rancho)
Headers (JBA)
Gears 4.88 (Yukon) Maybe not HP but definately better acceleration
Gearing is going to the only cheap option other then going FI. BTW people with sport cars will pay well over $5k easily to get 10 more HP out of the engine. Any bolt on mods will add 2-3 HP at best and are more so for the noise it makes.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Unfortunately, if you have a 10 JKU and it happens to have an auto trans with 3.21 gears you have a perfect storm for lack of performance. The only thing that's reasonable to do in order to help is to re-gear.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Just looking to add a little hp to my JKU 3.8L like 10-20hp more. Can someone list what I would need to do so or come close.
Most bang for the buck is Superchips Flashpaq , you will have to run premium fuel plus keep your weight low and run a non aggressive A/T tire. Next up is a supercharger at $5-6K. Hopefully you have at least 373 gears 410 or lower better yet.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
If you are thinking of throwing forced induction on a Wrangler, I think you shouldn't own a Wrangler.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Superchips Flashpaq helped with shift points and throttle response. My dad put $15k in bolt ons and Dyno tunes on his C6 Vette for a net gain of 65 hp. His '05 is hanging with a buddy's '15 C7 so he's happy. Spend the money if you want. You can't take it with you

·
Banned
151 Posts
If you are thinking of throwing forced induction on a Wrangler, I think you shouldn't own a Wrangler.
Ever take you Wrangler off road in the mountains? Deduct three percent horsepower and torque for every 1,000 feet in altitude. I'm 15% down from factory ratings in my driveway and almost 30% at my favorite trails. That loss is good for supercharged engines, too.

I'd seriously consider a turbocharger. Gale Banks has a system for older Wranglers, but nothing for the JK yet.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You'll never notice 10-20 more hp. Live with it or trade it. My 2010 with 3.73's and 6 speed is perfectly acceptable with 32" tires. In fact it has more power than some newer versions I drove with the 3.6, auto and 3.21 gears.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
3.6 hands down. I was messing around with my local shop and told him maybe I would eventually do a HEMI. He said with the 3.6, no need and I would be better off putting the money into other things- but with the 3.8 he would absolutely recommend it for sure. My boyfriend has a HEMI that replaced his 3.8 (2007) - but it was already converted when he got it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts