Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have already done a search but did not find what I needed. I need to replace the original springs on my '94 4.0 and would like to get a little bit of lift without getting into issues like SYE and transfer case drop, so my question is this: would I run into any of these issues if I just went with new springs with only 1 1/2" lift? Also, I will be going to a 30 9.5 tire on the original 15" rim.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
When ever you lift, you change geometry. Doesn't matter if its a spring lift or a shackle lift. It will still change the geometry of the drivetrain. In order to put the geometry back into normal specs...i.e. no vibrations, you will have to do a t-case drop.
Normally a lift as slight as 1 1/2" will not require any t-case drop, but not always. There are many factors that determine the need for a t-case drop or shims on the leaf springs. Such as age of the vehicle, mileage, previous abuse, and so on.

Your only alternative to not using any t-case drop or shims(if they are actually needed) is to do a body lift.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
You can do a 1" body lift and get some shackles (boomerang preferred) and add 1" and get 31s under it and should be safe but it is frame dependent. Depends how much your stock springs have settled but it is worth looking into.

I did a 4" lift some 1" booms and got all I need but I did a lot more to make it work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wanted a little lift for my 91 yj and lacked the funds to do much so I did a bastard pack lift. My factory springs had settled to almost no arch at Allan's with this sixty dollar budget lift I got three inches in the back and 2.5 in the front works great. All u need is to locate a salvage yard and a couple of late 90 model s-10 pickups springs

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
In addition the the BL and T-Case drop and axle-shim, you can also do a Motor Mount Lift, this will tilt the drivetrain down to ease the higher angle. I know someone who bypassed an SYE and CV-Shaft completely by doing this after a 3" lift, he was still able to retain the stock driveshaft with no vibrations, it's no guarantee though b/c every Jeep and lift-kit is different, but it is possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just put a rough country 2.5" lift (springs and shocks) on my 94 yj 4.0. My factory springs were flat. I actually got over 4 inches of lift and had to drop the tc an 1.5". I also run 30 10.50 15's (for now). Some will say the sye is the proper way to do it, right or wrong, I don't have anymore vibration (knock on wood). truckprousa.com has the kit, 5% off and free shipping. Goodluck

·
Registered
76 Posts
Depending on how worn out your stock leafs are, you might get anywhere from 1-2 inches of extra lift depending on what brand you choose. I just had a Rubicon Express 2.5" kit installed with 31x10.5-15 tires and I ended up with almost five inches of total lift and it definitely needed the transfer case drop (which was included) There are good 1.5" lift kits out there which might allay the need for a TC drop but every YJ is different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts