Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Wrangler with a 6cyl in it that is just shot. Was thinking
of maybe putting something other than a Jeep engine back in. Does anybody
know of an easy transfer? not looking for power. Only cruse in it...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
if you are not looking for more power then I would think the best thing to do would be either have yours rebuilt or replace it with the same as you have.That way you would not have the expense and trouble of changing anything else and if you decide to sell it then it would probably be worth more.the jeep 6 cylinder is a hard engine to beat in my opinion

·
Registered
848 Posts
The problem with any engine changes are the other parts that you need to change because nothing is a direct fit.

If you don't want to get into a big project I would agree that the best option is to rebuild your engine and the second best option would be a like to like replacement.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agree x3. If your not looking for any more power the V8 is out. By staying with the I6 you wont have to worry about getting parts to match the stuff you already have.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Do a diesel swap with the Mercedes om617 they even have adapters to keep the ax15 but it may be more work than you want to do

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you have the time and the money, I would do a Mercedes diesel swap! It would have around the same HP but way better fuel mileage and reliability.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Depending on what you mean by easy swap will determine the suggestions.

If you want bolt in, you will have to stay with the Jeep motor.

If you want very minimal work, but still have the time, tools and effort, then your selection is limited, but still depends on what you expect.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
diesels have their good points but they have their bad points too. They are usually hell on starters and batteries.Every part that you have to replace costs 3 or 4 times as much.Even servicing costs twice as much.On a piece of equipment that is going to constantly run all day long they are great.Not so much on a regular vehicle.I had 2 pick-up trucks with diesels but from now on I will stick with gas.On tractors diesel is the way to go

1 - 10 of 10 Posts