Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving down to Florida and currently have a 2010 Sport Unlimited.

I used the extra cargo room for moving lots of things to and from school. But I am graduating now. In Florida I would like to have a smaller car, but can't imagine not driving a Wrangler.

With JK's I know of common issues like passenger floor leaks, cylinder heads breaking, and the gas pedal knock that originates from the steering box.

What are issues with TJ's? And would it be wise to do what I want to do? (Trade JK in for smaller TJ)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well if you get a TJ that's been in Florida for all of it's life, you really shouldn't have many issues. The 4.0 is the motor you want. It's bulletproof, but picky with parts. As long as you use the recommended brands, it will go beyond 300,000 without a rebuild. However, it's not as comfortable, it's much tighter, it rides rougher, it's louder, not many creature comforts, it will be used with high mileage (usually), less powerful, transmissions with less gears and lower fuel economy. I love my TJ for it's simplicity, but if I could have afforded a new JK, I would have gotten one. TJs too will get water leaking in on the passenger side if the cowl drain gets plugged, or if your door isn't sealed up right. I know a few people that get leaks from the windshield in hard rains.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I prefer the TJ myself over the JK.....I leave the '12 Sport sit in the driveway ever day just about...and drive the TJ....USUALLY!!!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I prefer the TJ myself over the JK.....I leave the '12 Sport sit in the driveway ever day just about...and drive the TJ....USUALLY!!!!
Which would you rather as a DD? I would go with the JK
Which would you rather as a trail pig? I would go with the TJ

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
I have a 2013 JK Sport S and a 2003 TJ Sport.
Me, too. The TJ is fine for long, daily commutes. (Mine is 60 miles one way.) if you want a TJ then it is quite easy to get used to.

But the JK drives better, overall. It is like a decent SUV with good power, acceleration, steering and ride. It is more quiet and much more comfortable. The brakes do not suck.

Me, too. The JK has sheet metal that is too damned thin. It can take larger tires off the bat. 32s are stock and I run 33x12.5R17 on rims with better backspacing than stock and have no rubbing anywhere, on or off road, disco-ed, with NO LIFT. But it is not as nimble as my smaller TJ. And I absolutely CRINGE at the thought of trashing my $30,000+ vehicle!

The JK is somewhat easier to MOD, but the TJ is far easier to REPAIR. And aftermarket goodies are a lot cheaper than what you see in the JK world. I am at home working on my TJ. I am not so comfortable working on my nice 3.6L 285 HP Pentastar for some reason. Maybe I secretly feel I need more Snap-On tools for the JK, that my "regular guy Joe Schmoe" tools somehow insult it. ;-)

Plus (and this is a big one to me) I want to be a "TJ Guy" on the trail and not a "JK Guy" - take that how you choose. HAHAHA!!!

Overall, if I had to sell one it would be the JK. I could get far more for it and get another TJ and lots of new parts to boot.

I like both a lot. But I think I like my TJ a little more.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have a 2013 JK Sport S and a 2003 TJ Sport
I'd love that.
So OP, I'd say it depends on how much you travel on road vs off-road. There's a bigger aftermarket for the TJ right now, so get a TJ if you wanna go off-road a lot
Get a 2 door JK if you occasionally do.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
2 door JK...
That is what I have. The JK crowd are really into the 4door, LWB JK with auto.

TJ drivers tend toward the manual. My observations tell me that the TJ autos seem to have issues with staying in one gear at speed on the interstate. The ones I have seen wanted to drop down and then up constantly, like it might be a fluky design. Used to be the mantra over at JF to stick with the stick.

I think we largely still feel that way, though I know guys with TJs who love their autos.

The JK manual is better than the TJ manuals, but the auto is quite slick.

Then they all claim that the LWB is better. My experiences differ. So my JK is a 6 speed SWB 2 door. TJ man at heart, I guess... ;-)

·
Registered
659 Posts
With TJs, the auto was a 3/4 speed and the manual is a 5/6 speed so the engine had to work harder with the auto.
LWB is better on road, handling, towing
SWB is better off road

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah man, looks like the right decision would be just to stick with the JK's, and get a two door.

The 2 door just seems more "fun." Does that make sense?

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
You nailed it, man. If you wheel, an auto JK is great in the rocks. If you don't do rocks then stick with a manual. Mine is a solid unit.

But 2 doors is more jeep-like: less friendly on the road but a sweetheart off it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JK's are so expensive these days. I can get 26k for mine if lucky, but buying the two door and then putting on a lift can run to $30k.

The price is so inflated.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I am fortunate in that I have PLENTY of choices...and day in day out for me...yes it's the TJ....even for a DD.

If other people are "going with"...than I will drive whatever they want...but off road going to work or runnin' errands...if I am by myself it's the TJ.

Only time was when it was -15° F. The '12 JK, '13 300, and the '14 JKU Polar all have remote start...so I drove one of those this past winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The TJ just has the "fun" appeal doesn't it?

Most TJ's I can find near me are 70k+ miles, and that sort of concerns me. How much life do these TJ's have?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well if you figure 12k a year average, for a 2004, that's 120k. So average driving in anything older would be higher. If the frame and body have no rust, you should be able to go a long time. Obviously you'll have to replace things over time, like any vehicle. The engines should last until at least 300,000 before they need a rebuild. If you don't kill it, the rest of the driveline should last that long too.
Go for the I6, the only regret people have with wranglers is getting the I4.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The TJ just has the "fun" appeal doesn't it?

Most TJ's I can find near me are 70k+ miles, and that sort of concerns me. How much life do these TJ's have?

Yes. Everyone at my homestead loves driving the rubicon. We had 5 cars and the wrangler was always the first choice.

currently have 126,000 miles on it and am starting some long needed repairs. Daughter had it at college for 3-4 years.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well if you figure 12k a year average, for a 2004, that's 120k. So average driving in anything older would be higher. If the frame and body have no rust, you should be able to go a long time. Obviously you'll have to replace things over time, like any vehicle. The engines should last until at least 300,000 before they need a rebuild. If you don't kill it, the rest of the driveline should last that long too.
Go for the I6, the only regret people have with wranglers is getting the I4.
Sorry I do not know what I6 and I4 mean/stand for.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am fortunate in that I have PLENTY of choices...and day in day out for me...yes it's the TJ....even for a DD.

If other people are "going with"...than I will drive whatever they want...but off road going to work or runnin' errands...if I am by myself it's the TJ.

Only time was when it was -15° F. The '12 JK, '13 300, and the '14 JKU Polar all have remote start...so I drove one of those this past winter.
You Sir, are a Jeep hoarder me thinks! :bop:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Sorry I do not know what I6 and I4 mean/stand for.
Ooooo he is green! I6=inline 6 cylinder engine, i4=inline 4 cylinder engine. As opposed to your v6 in your jk

As far as milage, our old TJ's last forever, if it has 70k miles its probably good to go 230,000 more. Just look for rust.

·
Registered
659 Posts
To add,
Inline means the cylinders are arranged in one line, 4 or 6 cylinders one behind the other

V engines make a V, V6 has three on one tip of the V, and three on the other tip.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts