Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our 2010 JKUR that we bought new and love we have 137000 miles on her now. We’re gonna keep this forever so i wanna get ahead of the aging motor. I think a Hemi swap is too expensive once this engine goes. Same is probably true for an LS swap. I’m thinking a rebuilt 3.8 with a supercharger. Any thoughts? I’d probably have the transmission rebuilt as well. It’s an auto. Anything I’m missing? Approximate prices are mainly what I’m looking for
Thanks.

Bob.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hmm. Not sure of all your variables, but... I have a Magnuson SC on a 3.8 and while it’s really fun, I’m here to tell you it’s not trouble free. I’ve been unable to solve a rough idle and random dying since install a year ago and don’t yet know if I’ve fixed my SC heat prob. I paid about $9k for Magnuson plus install IIRC, plus a ton of subsequent trips to shop to figure out dying, plus another $700 for new radiator and another $700 for transmission cooler to try to resolve heat probs created by SC. And I still have a craptastic transmission. I‘ve had a ton of fun and love my Jeep but I really think if you can at all do it you’d be better off with paying the extra for a hemi or LS swap when she goes... just one opinion but man I can’t see paying much for a rebuilt 3.8 or that transmission.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I think I’d go with a 5.7 hemi with transmission. I have the impression that it is easier to mate with the JK than an LS. A 6.4 would be cool, but more money.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Cummins 2.8 with an 8 speed? I have a customer with the 6.4 Hemi and its really not that impressive. Better but not $20k better than the 3.6. With your funds issue I would just throw the 3.6 in it with a newer transmission.

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you want to do it the cheapest way just get a reman 3.8 Jasper engine, but forget the supercharger. I had a Sprintex on my 3.8 and it never was right. Very little power gain for the money and not worth the headaches. I have yet to personally meet anyone that has installed any brand of FI on the 3.8 with zero problems.

If you are looking for a little more pep then look into re-gearing and using something like a Superchips tuner.

·
Registered
85 Posts
3.8's don't seem to take to hot-rodding very well... not like some other engines. I vote for leaving stock with a reman engine. Yeah... they are slow... I've just learned to leave earlier... ;)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the advise. The 3.6 with a newer trans sounds tempting. Gotta get a price point on this setup. Honestly didn't think of that. Don't get me wrong, I'm finally at peace with the lack of power, I have a new Scat Pack for go fast urges, I just figured if I'm gonna replace this engine at some point, why not get a bit more power. Didn't know the super chargers out there were so problematic. A Jasper engine with a tune sounds good too.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've heard it is expensive to try and swap in the 3.6 - at a minimum it's a different pcm and probably more, wiring harness, .....

·
Registered
125 Posts
If not going for a Hemi or LS swap just do dual exhaust, cold air intake, and a tuner. Super cheap comparatively and with only 137K miles on it that engine will likely outlive you. By the time it slows down you will be old enough not to want to go fast. SCs are expensive for a little pep and a lot of problems. I've been doing tons of research on more power and a faster jeep and there really are no decent half measures beyond exhaust, CAI, and tuning. So go big for $$$$ or small for $.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts