Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Unlimited Oscar Mike edition this weekend (FINALLY!!!!) and I want to install some screens on the backs of the headrests. In my other SUV, I have screens that I can control upfront by playing movies from an ipad mini hooked up to an HDMI/RCA converter and then to the RCA ports in the arm-rest.

I'd like to do the same thing here. I like my boys to watch what I WANT them to watch and be able to watch it at the same time. Yes, I let them use iPads (sparingly), and yes, I know we could hit play on two ipads at the same time and all this nonsense, but I want to be able to control WHAT they're watching on the screens when they're not allowed to play with the ipads. I find this results in the least amount of fighting.

My Jeep has 110v and a 430N. I can use the 110v (as I do in my other SUV) to power the converter, etc., but I would like some help with what screens I can put on the back of the headrests. One of my sons doesn't see very well, so I'd like the screens to be fairly large (greater than 7").

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Are you thinking about using your 430N as the source/control? The "famous" rear camera connector on the back, also has video inputs and a video output that can be routed to any such rear entertainment screens.

Basically, in a past life, the 430N was the heart of the kiddy rear entertainment on Chrysler's mini vans.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you thinking about using your 430N as the source/control? The "famous" rear camera connector on the back, also has video inputs and a video output that can be routed to any such rear entertainment screens.

Basically, in a past life, the 430N was the heart of the kiddy rear entertainment on Chrysler's mini vans.
Not really... I'd rather just have an RCA hookup (or better yet, HDMI) to display what's on the iPad (movie) as I do now. What are these "DVD" things you speak of ;-) Everything I have is file driven...

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
I want to install some screens on the backs of the headrests.
What are these screens on back of headrests you speak of? :)

What are these "DVD" things you speak of ;-) Everything I have is file driven...
Hmm, you've got some technology conflicts. In the first case, you're asking for early 2000's tech, and in the second, you're proud to be up to date. :)

As someone who's been going through all of this, just get the kids some mini tablets and ear buds and put their favorite games and movies on the tablets. I'll note that I stopped buying Apple products because I was sick of hacking them to accomplish this, so the plan works much better with Android.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, you've got some technology conflicts. In the first case, you're asking for early 2000's tech, and in the second, you're proud to be up to date.

As someone who's been going through all of this, just get the kids some mini tablets and ear buds and put their favorite games and movies on the tablets. I'll note that I stopped buying Apple products because I was sick of hacking them to accomplish this, so the plan works much better with Android.
You're right... My Infiniti SUV has RCA ports for external video inputs, so that's why the HDMI-RCA converter box in that vehicle (which I'm assuming is the easiest way to do this one).

All of our Apple devices are jail broken... But as I said, my goal is to be able to control movies etc that they see and not have them play video games for 5 hours at a time (we drive a LOT).

So to summarize, I'm looking for a solution which will give me two 8"+ screens powered by the vehicle and with video input from whatever device I like (typically iPad).

·
Registered
926 Posts
:lmao:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That wouldn't solve my issue.

HOWEVER, I ordered two of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L1624PK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This also has a DVD player and a gaming system. I'll update the thread with how it goes... I'm wondering if I'll be able to send the audio to the car speakers... Is there an aux audio input on the back of the 430N? I'd rather not have to see the wires.

Speaking of wires, is there an easy way to feed them down the inside of the seats?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
There are these newfangled contraptions in jeeps these days. They are called, are you ready for this? Windows! Let the kids see the sun and life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are these newfangled contraptions in jeeps these days. They are called, are you ready for this? Windows! Let the kids see the sun and life.
NOW WE'RE TALKING!!! You're absolutely right and I do require some good WINDOW time... BUT, I also want the kids to LIKE driving in the Wrangler vs our cushier SUV (NOT...ANOTHER...MINIVAN...JOKE)

·
Registered
926 Posts
NOW WE'RE TALKING!!! You're absolutely right and I do require some good WINDOW time... BUT, I also want the kids to LIKE driving in the Wrangler vs our cushier SUV (NOT...ANOTHER...MINIVAN...JOKE)

I'm practicing self control.

·
Registered
718 Posts
That wouldn't solve my issue.

HOWEVER, I ordered two of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L1624PK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This also has a DVD player and a gaming system. I'll update the thread with how it goes... I'm wondering if I'll be able to send the audio to the car speakers... Is there an aux audio input on the back of the 430N? I'd rather not have to see the wires.

Speaking of wires, is there an easy way to feed them down the inside of the seats?
I ordered 2 of these. The interface isn't the best, but it works and kept my kids silent for a 6 hour drive to Niagara falls.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Randomly driver over stuff and through the grass, they will love it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts