Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of KM2's WHich do great offroad but have 30k miles and cupping real bad. I am going to need new tires in the next few months and what do you recommend for a mud tire. Need good street wear and good traction off road

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Your KM2s ran out after 30,000 miles? Wow...that's pretty quick. What type of wheelin were you doing and did you buy new?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes bought new. Most wheeling in dirt trails and some rocks. I drive about 1 hour each way. I can get about another 10 k maybe. My big problem is the cupping. Everyother thread row isn't touching the ground on 2 of the tires

·
Registered
28 Posts
i def like the mickey thompson Baja claws or the pro comp xterrian i think they both look sick. they r ok on the road and I've never heard anything bad about them. i have bfg mud terrians on my jeep and i love them when i replace mine i'm keeping the bfgs just going to 12.50s

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
ok, here's something bad about them (Baja Claws, xterrain), ... they don't work on sidehills. All tires with that Chevron style tread, including the Geolander MT Plus, don't have any lateral grip to speak of. I've had Baja Claws before, and they pull good in a straight line, especially in sand. Don't try to drive on a steep sidehill road that is right above a barb wire fence if there is snow on the ground (ask me how I know).

Of the tires I've used in the last two to three years ...

I think the Goodyear MT/R w/K is a very good tire, perhaps one of the best for all around off road use. On road ride quality is not so good though, hard to balance, and they wear quickly.

Pro Comp Extreme MTs are very good all around tires. Their tread pattern is almost like an AT tire, so it is quiet on road and rides good, but the tread spacing is real wide and the tread lugs are real deep, so it still works like an MT off road. They seem to have more grip in most places than other tires do. The tread pattern makes them look like an implement tire though (like something that should be on a big self propelled swather, or combine).

Toyo Open Country MT tires are very good performing tires, and are near bullet proof. You can't hurt them and they wear for a long time. Their tread lugs are so big and soft that they are a bit squirmy feeling on the highway until they have 5000 miles on them, then they drive much better.

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ tires work exceptionally well off road. They are more expensive than almost any other tire though, and over priced in my opinion.

Dick Cepek FC II tires have exeptionally good street manners, especially on wet or snowy roads. As with any AT tire, the tread spaces are too close together to grip all that well off road. Hard to stay on your line through a tough obstacle with these tires.

·
Wheelin' and Dealin'
1,521 Posts
how about the Kumho Road Venture?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Didn't really care for the baja claw!!!!!!! Had them on a F-150....

·
Registered
495 Posts
cru9 said:
I have a set of KM2's WHich do great offroad but have 30k miles and cupping real bad. I am going to need new tires in the next few months and what do you recommend for a mud tire. Need good street wear and good traction off road
Do you know why your KM2s are cupping? I've read it can be caused by a bad suspension system that causes tire bounce. Just wondering because if that is the case, isn't it likely to happen again with the next set of tires?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts