Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
My doors come off this week when my new bestop trail cover arrives.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
summer is here for many weeks. that´s the warmest spring here in germany for over 100 years.
i took off my hardtop in the end of march. normally i do that in may/june...

hey cool idea "Fondo23", i´m searching for such mirrors for a long time. we aren´t allowed to drive without mirrors. i had to pay 120$ last year because i did that...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah.. I found plans for a "do it yourself" mirror kit, but couldn't get all the parts together.. so after a lot of pricing and searching I settled on the ridecraft mirrors. They are very sturdy and easy to work with.. a great investment if I do say so myself! :)

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Fondo that looks nice and shinny :) i bet it wont be like that for long :D

Wow Nicolas-Eric what did you paint those fenders with?

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
any one has any idea what paint is used to paint them though or recomendations on another one to make them look like that? I like the shininess.. i know a paint thats recomended but it doesnt come out shinny..

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I would assume you just buy paintable fenders, and paint it with autmotive paint, in the same process you would a metal piece, only adding the flex addative for bumpers.

But thats just a guess :confused:

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
not much experience with painting plastic thats why i'm wondering.. i bought paint to paint my intake and i added primer and then painted over with paint and then the primer pealed off after the top coat dried out.. pealed like sunburnt skin..

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
sounds like your prep work wasnt up to snuff (no offense)

usually the process is:

Prep (MOST IMPORTANT)
Primer
Base coat
Clear
Wet sanding/Buffing

You can also wet sand/buff during the base coat and clear coat process (in between coats) if you are careful and want a glass like apperance, such as a show car.

Also, if you are using 1 stage paint, its a little differnt but basically the same.

Toss me a PM if you need advice for general painting and prep work. As for the Jeep fenders, like I said, I assume its the same process as painting a plastic bumper but I am not 100% possitive.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
sounds like your prep work wasnt up to snuff (no offense)
It was a plastic round pipe i bought from the store.. I sanded it with 300 grid (i think) sandypaper and then cleaned it up with a rag.. It was not dirty or wet or anything of that kind, it was clean. I painted it with primer.. then it dried.. painted it with paint.. it dried and i lifted it up and when i put a bit more pressure on it with my finger the piece under my finger just ripped off from the rest of the paint.. I think it was the primer that wasnt good for plastic..

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
My sahara. Will not look like this by the end of the summer.:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
some nice lookin rigs here.
nicolas, did you get the OME kit yet?
4.0l, i'm with you on that. hopefully by the end of the summer my jeep is all grown up.......

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
It was a plastic round pipe i bought from the store.. I sanded it with 300 grid (i think) sandypaper and then cleaned it up with a rag.. It was not dirty or wet or anything of that kind, it was clean. I painted it with primer.. then it dried.. painted it with paint.. it dried and i lifted it up and when i put a bit more pressure on it with my finger the piece under my finger just ripped off from the rest of the paint.. I think it was the primer that wasnt good for plastic..

Always clean up with prep sol, or acetone, after sanding no matter what. Either way, here is special primer for plastic, it "digs" is way into the material. Dunno if its nesesary or not, but I did use it in my bumper (grand prix) when we did my custom paint job

1 - 20 of 36 Posts