Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Warm weather!

4549 Views 35 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  garcia6767
Took a few new pics due to the warm weather..
Doors off.. new ridecraft mirrors on..
Can't wait for summer :)

View attachment 1753

View attachment 1754

View attachment 1755
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
5,112 Posts
summer is here for many weeks. that´s the warmest spring here in germany for over 100 years.
i took off my hardtop in the end of march. normally i do that in may/june...

hey cool idea "Fondo23", i´m searching for such mirrors for a long time. we aren´t allowed to drive without mirrors. i had to pay 120$ last year because i did that...

· Registered
7,852 Posts
not much experience with painting plastic thats why i'm wondering.. i bought paint to paint my intake and i added primer and then painted over with paint and then the primer pealed off after the top coat dried out.. pealed like sunburnt skin..

· Registered
1,408 Posts
sounds like your prep work wasnt up to snuff (no offense)

usually the process is:

Prep (MOST IMPORTANT)
Primer
Base coat
Clear
Wet sanding/Buffing

You can also wet sand/buff during the base coat and clear coat process (in between coats) if you are careful and want a glass like apperance, such as a show car.

Also, if you are using 1 stage paint, its a little differnt but basically the same.

Toss me a PM if you need advice for general painting and prep work. As for the Jeep fenders, like I said, I assume its the same process as painting a plastic bumper but I am not 100% possitive.

· Registered
7,852 Posts
sounds like your prep work wasnt up to snuff (no offense)
It was a plastic round pipe i bought from the store.. I sanded it with 300 grid (i think) sandypaper and then cleaned it up with a rag.. It was not dirty or wet or anything of that kind, it was clean. I painted it with primer.. then it dried.. painted it with paint.. it dried and i lifted it up and when i put a bit more pressure on it with my finger the piece under my finger just ripped off from the rest of the paint.. I think it was the primer that wasnt good for plastic..

· Registered
1,408 Posts
It was a plastic round pipe i bought from the store.. I sanded it with 300 grid (i think) sandypaper and then cleaned it up with a rag.. It was not dirty or wet or anything of that kind, it was clean. I painted it with primer.. then it dried.. painted it with paint.. it dried and i lifted it up and when i put a bit more pressure on it with my finger the piece under my finger just ripped off from the rest of the paint.. I think it was the primer that wasnt good for plastic..

Always clean up with prep sol, or acetone, after sanding no matter what. Either way, here is special primer for plastic, it "digs" is way into the material. Dunno if its nesesary or not, but I did use it in my bumper (grand prix) when we did my custom paint job

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.