Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ran across a local guy selling a warn 8274 warn winch, from what I can tell this is the grand father of Warn winches, he want $400.00, I think i am going to offer him 300 cash. Im going to check it out later tomorrow is there anything specific i should look for? Would this be a good winch on the front of an 05 Rubicon?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have one on my jeep. It's a beast, line speed is unbeatable.

I made a stubby bumper using the warn mounting plate and added synthetic line.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do yu have any cooling problems with it in front of your grill? How heavy is it could you tell the difference in any handling?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It's a great winch, and depending on the condition that might be a great deal. Just know that it is very large. I wouldn't hesitate to run one if I had it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
Yep no issues with it blocking air flow over encouraging the engine to overheat. It's a superb winch but you do have to use or make a winch plate specifically made for the 8274, it has a different mounting bolt pattern from all the others.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not gone to see it yet the guy had to work but we are trying to set something up for this weekend, I did however find out he wanted 400 for the winch and a bumper he didnt want to seperate but now a guy wants the bumper and I want the winch so maybe even cheaper than anticipated. What is a good used price, from what I can decipher from the code its either a 1975, 1985 or 1995 winch but I am not for sure. It just has a 5 at the end. Thanks for the winch plate advice. I was going to fab one up myself anyways. If I do end up getting this winch, i plan to blast what parts I can and then anodize or powder coat some parts to make it new-er looking again.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I have not gone to see it yet the guy had to work but we are trying to set something up for this weekend, I did however find out he wanted 400 for the winch and a bumper he didnt want to seperate but now a guy wants the bumper and I want the winch so maybe even cheaper than anticipated. What is a good used price, from what I can decipher from the code its either a 1975, 1985 or 1995 winch but I am not for sure. It just has a 5 at the end. Thanks for the winch plate advice. I was going to fab one up myself anyways. If I do end up getting this winch, i plan to blast what parts I can and then anodize or powder coat some parts to make it new-er looking again.
I'm sure you know this, but just in case: if you have the serial number from the winch, Warn can tell you everything about it. I've done that on numerous occasions.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to see it checked it out, it works great and now I got the serial numbers. Im going to cal them today actually. Thank you for the pointers, im really excited for my next paycheck to be blown!!!!!:punk:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Already put money down on it hes holding it for me and i made a new jeep buddy, he has a decently built cherokee, bastard child i know, but still a jeep

1 - 13 of 13 Posts