Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 TJ and got a M8000 for X-Mas and have a few questions before installing it.

If anyone can link me to another thread with pics and other good info I'd appreciate it.

I've done some searching, came up with Diehard Platnum with dual posts is the battery to have. I went to O'reilley's and they have a house brand AGM battery with dual posts that costs a whole lot less than the Die Hard. Wondering if I should chance saving money??

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
That battery is just a rebranded Deka Intimidator 34/78, which is an excellent battery. I personally don't hook up to the secondary posts on a battery with a winch. Too much draw for the smaller posts and have heard stories of bad things happening.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you need any specific questions answered, or pics just give me a holler. Put one on my 97 this last spring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That battery is just a rebranded Deka Intimidator 34/78, which is an excellent battery. I personally don't hook up to the secondary posts on a battery with a winch. Too much draw for the smaller posts and have heard stories of bad things happening.

Can you give more details on how to get power from the battery. Seems like GM side posts would be sufficient, but I'm new to this stuff. I dont need to burn my Jeep down because I didnt listen to experienced people.

I still need to open the box and read the manual for the winch.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I routed the power wires through a hole next to the radiator on the left side. I have a/c so I just wire tied them along the a/c line right on up to the battery and used the battery terminal clamp nuts to also hold the pos and neg wires from the winch.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
The Diehard Platinum is made for Sears by Odyssey, not Deka. And while the Optima battery can't have a winch connected to its side posts for the reason you mention, the Diehard Platinum and Odssey batteries don't have a problem with that.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yes, the DHPlatinum is a good choice. My 5+ year old Optima Yellow works fine too, but I'd go with the Oddessy/Platinum instead of the Optima were I doing it all over again.

Otherwise, consider mounting the solenoid pack under the hood for protection from the elements, or you'll be buying more solenoids in a year or two, after you discover (probably at an inopportune time) that your winch won't work. Some 2-gauge welding cable and some crimp-on lugs, and I was good to go on the wiring. Power and ground go straight to the battery terminals; you can see the black wire looping onto the side of the + terminal in the picture below.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts