Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a million winch discussion threads on these forums, but I'm looking at these two particular winches. I'm leaning heavily towards getting a new steel front bumper and want to get a winch to go with it. The only winch I've ever owned was a Ramsey 8k lbs. winch that was on my FJ40 in high school (which was over 20 years ago). I know Warn has a much better reputation but is does the higher capacity and synthetic line of the Smittybilt sway anyone? For reference, I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Warn always, however an M8000 isnt enough winch for your JK.
I'd love to have a 10-12k lbs. winch, but the cost of Warn winches seems to have gone through the roof. I don't understand why a M12000 cost more than double what a M8000 does. I doubt I'll be using it enough to justify the cost. I'd only go with an 8k lbs. winch if I buy a Warn....either way I'll have a snatch block.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
I'd love to have a 10-12k lbs. winch, but the cost of Warn winches seems to have gone through the roof. I don't understand why a M12000 cost more than double what a M8000 does. I doubt I'll be using it enough to justify the cost. I'd only go with an 8k lbs. winch if I buy a Warn....either way I'll have a snatch block.
An 8000lb winch isnt enough for a new jku. You need atleast twice what the vehicle weighs, snatch block or not

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
The fact that you will not use it very much does not make any difference as to whether it is enough winch the 1 time you do need it. It's not like it saves up power because it hasn't been used. Honestly I never understood this argument.

I debated long and hard between those (and other) choices and finally did the Smitty 10k w Synthetic purely for perceived value and because the 10k is absolute minimum (IMNSHO) for the JKU. In single line pulls I've made it work HARD a couple of times and wish I would have bought the 12k.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
The fact that you will not use it very much does not make any difference as to whether it is enough winch the 1 time you do need it. It's not like it saves up power because it hasn't been used. Honestly I never understood this argument. I debated long and hard between those (and other) choices and finally did the Smitty 10k w Synthetic purely for perceived value and because the 10k is absolute minimum (IMNSHO) for the JKU. In single line pulls I've made it work HARD a couple of times and wish I would have bought the 12k.
Bingo

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
There are a ton of guys on here who have a Smitty winch and seem to do fine. By the same token there are guys who have had problems with them. You have a 40k+ jeep. I would not want to risk that investment to a bargain winch. I did a Zeon Platinum on mine. You can get deals on the regular Zeons though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies! Looks like I either need to go with an off brand winch with a higher capacity or save a tad more for a larger Warn.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
You will never be sad that you bought the best. Unless of course you become homeless...then you will be happy you have a jeep but sad you have an expensive winch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts