Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 Door Wrangler. I don't plan on building it into a monster. It is my DD and off road adventure rig. I will probably be single vehicle wheeling it most of the time-Backcountry Discovery Route type of stuff. I have never winched before so I'm new to what I will need. Seems like the M8000 is pretty popular for 2 Doors, made in the USA (right down the road from me) and looks to have a pretty good reputation.

Is 8000lb enough? I honestly have no idea? I am going with wire rope since I can see me dragging it across the ground or otherwise making newbie mistakes that from what I have read can cause premature wear on a synthetic rope.

Thanks!
DAVE

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a 2 Door Wrangler. I don't plan on building it into a monster. It is my DD and off road adventure rig. I will probably be single vehicle wheeling it most of the time-Backcountry Discovery Route type of stuff. I have never winched before so I'm new to what I will need. Seems like the M8000 is pretty popular for 2 Doors, made in the USA (right down the road from me) and looks to have a pretty good reputation.

Is 8000lb enough? I honestly have no idea? I am going with wire rope since I can see me dragging it across the ground or otherwise making newbie mistakes that from what I have read can cause premature wear on a synthetic rope.

Thanks!
DAVE
8,000lb is plenty, especially if you utilize a quality snatch block.

Steel vs Synth is a common debate you'll come across.

From what I've seen, steel is the way to go here in the Midwest, I have not used synthetic myself, but I know plenty of people who seem to go through it like candy before eventually returning to steel. We have a good deal of everything bad for a rope over here, but then again I cannot speak for peoples maintenance regimes only have to go by what they tell me.

It's pretty easy to take care of steel line, I was a swing stage scaffold riggor, so I have plenty of experience with steel line.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Seems like Warn is orphaning the M series though... with the new VR and Zeon being their focus. For your use, the VR8000 would be plenty. For occasional self-recovery, rope is nicer to handle. It isn't so much dragging on the ground if it's unloaded, it's if you have abrasive loads on it (strut across a rock for example). There are ways to mitigate that... for both rope and steel.

My kit includes a couple of tree straps... big fat tow straps that are only a few feet long... which allow rigging to trees of course, but also can wrap around anything. I still carry a 30 foot recovery strap for long pulls. And a snatch block... essential for self-recovery. You can get into all kinds of crazy stuff with multiple snatch blocks... depends on your trails.

I've found that really... I'm kinda screwed on many of my favourite trails for straight pulls... which is where steel can be nice as it will find it's way straight without much risk.

My old Rubi I had an old VR... getting a new VR for my 75th...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I will read up on the differences between the VR and M. They look pretty similar.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you're pulling line often, you'll appreciate synthetic rope.

If (like most) you installed a winch because it gives you another level of trail confidence (and looks bitchen), steel cable will be there ready to go when you need it.

Only real draw back to steel cable is the added weight (cue the saftey arguments)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thank you. I will read up on the differences between the VR and M. They look pretty similar.
The VR is a warn branded import from china, they are cheaper but not made here.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I can see, the M8000 and the VR8 II Gen look to have the same specs and internal setup. I am going to give Warn a call and see what the real differences are other than place of origin and looks. BTW, seems the M8000 is marked down a lot of places to under $600 and the VR8 II Gen is within $100 where you can find it. The VR10 Gen II is the same price as the M8000 and is in stock.

Hmmm:pullinghair:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am running heavy 15 JK rubi with 1000# of added weight. Love my Warn M8000. Just get a high quality pulley block. I did switch to synthetic. Went to 70' of 7/16" Master Pull

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hanks. After talking to Warn on the phone this morning I am going with the M8000

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol. Mostly that it will last longer, is built with stronger gears/motor/contour switch and made in the USA. Local to me at that. Just seems like a better buy at the current price point. I only want to buy a winch once and it seems if I'm rarely going to use then maybe a better quality one for not much more $$ is a better choice. Either way, an M8000 would not be the wrong choice

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
Synthetic rope, aka amsteel or other, is easily re-termed in either a loop or around a thimble and has way more strength in tension vs steel for a given diameter. It also gives a little bit more so doesn't retain as much energy in a failure situation.

We have moved to amsteel for most all of our winch needs on our boats at work. Some of the steel cable still sits on the inside of the spool, but the line overboard is all synthetic.

One thing that was mentioned here is pulling synthetic across rocky terrain or damaged fairleads. This will definitely damage the synthetic more than a steel rope.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Probably been asked before but, is it recommended to install a dual battery system when you install a winch?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Loaded question.
Do you plan winching with the vehicle while the engine is shut off (Jeep submerged, upside down, going straight up a cliff).
Do you plan on winching with a tonne of auxiliary lights turned on while bumping a huge stereo system?
If yes to either or both of those, then yes, dual batteries is the way to go.
Otherwise, dual batteries are not required, but not harmful either.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am extremely happy with my M8000. Made in the USA, just like the Wrangler!

I went with steel line because mud and sharp rocks are common here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Loaded question.
Do you plan winching with the vehicle while the engine is shut off (Jeep submerged, upside down, going straight up a cliff).
Do you plan on winching with a tonne of auxiliary lights turned on while bumping a huge stereo system?
If yes to either or both of those, then yes, dual batteries is the way to go.
Otherwise, dual batteries are not required, but not harmful either.
No, nothing like that. I have a stock JKUH (LOL -stock; these things have everything on them) that I was researching whether to install a winch. I might be adding some A pillar lights, but that is all I've thought about.
Based on reading on the forum here I believe I need to install a mounting plate for the winch in the 10X bumper too.

63expert: Very nice Set up.

·
Super Moderator
10,651 Posts
I've always heard good things about Warn's M-Series winches. But I wouldn't touch a VR. It is Warn's Made-in-China attempt to compete on price.

I have owned multiple Warn winches over the years and always been happy with them. Until I ordered a VR before the holidays. I was underwhelmed from the moment I opened the box: a plastic solenoid cover made to "look" like it is steel, missing bolts for the hawse, etc., etc. After a 3-week trip to Canada the bolts that hold the solenoid were already rusting. Warn took it back for a full refund and I got a Zeon 10 instead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts