Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting this as a Christmas present from the wife. Is there anything wrong with them? I want the Warn name and it has the limited lifetime warranty.
I wheel about once a month locally (nothing hardcore, just mud n hills and Ive never needed to be wicnhed out) and I only wheel it hard (rocks n such) about three times a year when we go out of town with a local jeep club. For what i need will this winch do the job?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,133 Posts
Your buying because of the name? Makes sense to some I guess
How did Warn become a name brand?

Warn didn't become a "name" to buy for any reason other than they have been well known for many years for making a quality product that holds up. Brands with shoddy reputations are not name brands. So if you don't like buying name brands, then expect to get a lower quality product. Brands with bad reputations never become a "name" that becomes so well trusted that some will buy simply because of the name... because they can trust it. So there ya go.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
TJGARMA03 said:
Someone got all bent outta shape. Guess its true Warn Nazis do exist.
And the smittybilt nazis get all bent out of shape because they are too impatient to save up for a warn.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,133 Posts
Someone got all bent outta shape. Guess its true Warn Nazis do exist.
If you can't take someone disagreeing with you, stay out of the forums and grow a set. And if there's one thing I won't put up with, especially as a Vietnam veteran, it's being called a "Nazi". You have a lot to learn about what a Nazi is, especially since you so easily call someone a Nazi solely because they disagreed with you. Grow up.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you have the money man go for the vr. But for the little use you see I would settle for a superwinch. An #8500 is around 300 if you search the Internet. Good luck with whatever choice you make

·
Registered
615 Posts
I agree with Jerry,Warn is a Company that has been around many years & has a well earned reputation,I buy stuff for keeps(Long Term) Are parts going to be available in the future for some of the other less expensive brands? will these companys even still be in business? The VR8000 Should be fine for your uses.

·
Registered
210 Posts
beaureed445 said:
If you want to spend the mondy on the QUALITY, then yea, it'll do the job.
I was just saying if u want to spend it on that winch it's will do the job. There is other winches out there just as good. I wasn't saying it bad it's just more expensive then other winches with the same quality.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ok..how about this....

I own a Warn 9.5 cti and a Smittybilt XRC8.

The Warn is on the jeep....the XRC8 is on my car hauler. I expect both of them to perform to their utmost potential relevant to where they are installed.

See...I didn't bad mouth either one of them now did I?

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
The VR8000 is a great starter winch. Warn has been around for many years. They started out making lock out hubs for wwII era jeeps. Not meant to brag but there are 5 in my shop in varying conditions. 3 of which are 8274's which are the mack daddy of winches IMO. Back on task.

The most easy thing to compare the vr8000 to is the m8000. Very similar in appearance but the m8000 is a little "better" when it comes to performance in regards to speed.
Amazon has them for $650..use to be $550 not that long ago but just a bump in price to the vr8000.
Amazon.com: WARN 26502 M8000 8000-lb Winch: Automotive

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If u want to spend the money on the name then yea it will do the job.
Your buying because of the name? Makes sense to some I guess
what I meant was the quality associated with the name. On my 95 f150 when I was younger I bought cheap knock offs (ie professional products intakes and heads, etc) and quickly learned it was worth paying a little more for quality products (ie AFR, edelbrock), the fit n finish was much better as were my numbers. I only aksed about the VR line because I have not seen many reviews on them and knew they were on the lower end of WARN's product lines. Thanks fot the input thus far though

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dempsey said:
The VR8000 is a great starter winch. Warn has been around for many years. They started out making lock out hubs for wwII era jeeps. Not meant to brag but there are 5 in my shop in varying conditions. 3 of which are 8274's which are the mack daddy of winches IMO. Back on task.

The most easy thing to compare the vr8000 to is the m8000. Very similar in appearance but the m8000 is a little "better" when it comes to performance in regards to speed.
Amazon has them for $650..use to be $550 not that long ago but just a bump in price to the vr8000.
Amazon.com: WARN 26502 M8000 8000-lb Winch: Automotive

Hope that helps.
Keep an eye on Amazon though I got my m8000 for $489 shipped which is $10 more than the vr8000. Their prices change almost daily.

·
Registered
34 Posts
About 5 years ago i winched 2 jeeps and two off road jeep trailers up the sand dune from hell in southern Utah. It took 9 hrs to go 2 miles ALL because of my WARN M8000. I will never own anything but WARN.

·
Registered
472 Posts
WEBEGPN said:
About 5 years ago i winched 2 jeeps and two off road jeep trailers up the sand dune from hell in southern Utah. It took 9 hrs to go 2 miles ALL because of my WARN M8000. I will never own anything but WARN.
Yup I bought me a m8000

1 - 19 of 19 Posts