Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've been looking to get into Trail Riding & thought about getting a winch for back up. I love Warn Winches. I've read here that a min of 8000lbs should be used on a JK. I was wondering if this was adequate? It's A Warn 12K Tabor...
Warn Industries - Value Series: Tabor 12K
Quality & Reliabilty exceed Cost!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
579 Posts
i have the 16500 ti warn on my dodge 3500 dually with a 10.5 camper. And i can hoist my truck and camper into any tree. My 8000 warn is plenty enough winch for me. I dont think you can go wrong with the 8000 lb winch. Just make sure you get a good chain,tow strap and something to protect any tree you might use to pull yourself out. A good pulley and a couple of shackles might be a good idea to have around. Just remember to lay something across the cable if you do have to pull yourself out.

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Administrator
12,456 Posts
What does that mean?
When winching with a steel cable.. place a weight or something over the mid point of the cable..(warn or arb makes a bag that will go over.. or if noting else a heavy jacket or towel if that is all ya have.) as if it breaks the weight will help the cable drop to the ground vs go flying in the air.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all...

·
Registered
214 Posts
When winching with a steel cable.. place a weight or something over the mid point of the cable..(warn or arb makes a bag that will go over.. or if noting else a heavy jacket or towel if that is all ya have.) as if it breaks the weight will help the cable drop to the ground vs go flying in the air.
That makes sense. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am looking for some advice on a hoist for my Jeep Wrangler 2 door hard top. Does anyone have any ideas? I want to use it to store the hard top in the rafters in my garage and to take it on and off the car. Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am looking for some advice on a hoist for my Jeep Wrangler 2 door hard top. Does anyone have any ideas? I want to use it to store the hard top in the rafters in my garage and to take it on and off the car. Thanks
Wrong thread there...:bottom:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts