Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 4door rubicon with an m8000 on the front. After first time offroading this weekend I tried to recover myself. I was able to work the electric until I tightened the tension and the relay or fuse (80a) blew. It's a resettable mechanism that I've never seen, so I reset and tried again but it blew again.

This wasn't installed by me and assumed it was done professionally by the looks of it.... Any ideas what the problem could be?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Winches literally draw hundreds of amps. You'll blow an 80A fuse any time you get it even lightly loaded.

They're designed to be wired directly to the battery. Get rid of that fuse and wire it straight to the battery terminals.

Edit: Look at the specs for the winch here: http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/M8000.shtml

At 8,000 pounds load you're drawing 435 amps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know that's what I was literally just thinking. When I installed my winch on my old zj, I went straight to the battery. I guess whoever installed it thought that was needed. I'll have to get rid of it.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Winches literally draw hundreds of amps. You'll blow an 80A fuse any time you get it even lightly loaded.

They're designed to be wired directly to the battery. Get rid of that fuse and wire it straight to the battery terminals.

Edit: Look at the specs for the winch here: Warn Industries - Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: M8000

At 8,000 pounds load you're drawing 435 amps.
X2 just what he said. I have 2 m8000 warn winches 1 of them is on my 2002 Chevy truck and has pulled out many over the years and the other one is on my jeep. I use a procal to raise my idle up when using my jeep. Just last weekend I pulled out a loaded down Suburban out of 3 feet of mud where he should not have been.

·
Registered
125 Posts
X2 just what he said. I have 2 m8000 warn winches 1 of them is on my 2002 Chevy truck and has pulled out many over the years and the other one is on my jeep. I use a procal to raise my idle up when using my jeep. Just last weekend I pulled out a loaded down Suburban out of 3 feet of mud where he should not have been.
Good to know, Just ordered a Warn Zeon 8k, putting it on my JKUR and wasn't sure on what size I needed. If a 8k can pull a suburban I feel better about putting it on the jeep. Only question now is the stock battery good enough or should I drop a Optima yellow top in it.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Raising the idle ends up not making much of a difference. The winch draws so much more amperage than your alternator can provide.

A good battery makes all the difference. I don't know what all is out there now but the Optima red top used to be the only battery I would go with. They can supply 750 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) which is more than enough to supply an 8,000 pound winch. Not to (re)start the argument but I hear Optima lost some of its quality control at some point. I haven't done any research lately to know what the best alternative is but there's plenty of discussion out there.

I actually use dual batteries in my CJ and I isolate my winch battery from the rest of the electrical system (via a heavy duty cut off switch) and run the winch from it. That way, I don't fry any of the other circuits in the Jeep when I'm running my winch. When I'm done I switch it back in so that it can recharge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts