Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
The CTI has a faster line speed I believe and reports on it's thermal status to the controller. The Zeon is kinda a strange shape (long and low on both ends) and it has trouble fitting in a number of bumpers without modification.

I think the Zeon looks cool but I have the 9.5cti.

They both are channeling Darth Vader

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm in the middle of the same debate, have mostly concluded that you do get some advantage in size and functionality for the extra $300 w the 9.5cti. Warn refers to the Zeon as their "midrange" (YouTube video I saw at some point) and the 9.5cti as their highest end. About the only advantage I see with the Zeon is that I like the solid cover you can get to protect the synthetic line from UV. If you can scrape up the dough for the Zeon, might as well dig around for the extra couple benjies and get the 9.5cti, at least that's what I'm trying to talk myself into.

@ThingsAbove: Digging the Darth Vader comparison!

·
Registered
61 Posts
FYI, just looking around, 4wheelonline.com has the 9.5cti at $1199 w free shipping if that helps your decision.
Oh scratch, that's the steel cable....

·
Vendor
103 Posts
Both winches are great. As mentioned, the 9.5cti is in the Ultimate Performance Series, and yes, it has faster line speed than the ZEON. The ZEON has the one-piece drum, the removable control pack, lower amp draw, the easier-to-use clutch handle, and is quieter.

- Andy

·
Registered
61 Posts
So, Andy, you seem to be pushing toward the Zeon a little, would you recommend that over the 9.5cti-s?

·
Vendor
103 Posts
So, Andy, you seem to be pushing toward the Zeon a little, would you recommend that over the 9.5cti-s?
It's kind of like choosing which child you love more. :D

If it were me, I'd put a ZEON on my rig, simply because it's new, cool looking, and I know it's a great winch. You do need to make sure it fits your bumper application, though. It is a little bit wider and deeper than a 9.5cti. Dimensions can be found at https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON_10-S.shtml.

- Andy

·
Registered
232 Posts
here's an idea of the differences in width, i had to modify my bumper to fit the Zeon.
different style pics and on a LJ but youll get the idea.

·
Registered
801 Posts

If it were me, I'd put a ZEON on my rig, simply because it's new, cool looking, and I know it's a great winch. You do need to make sure it fits your bumper application, though. It is a little bit wider and deeper than a 9.5cti. Dimensions can be found at https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON_10-S.shtml.

- Andy
Andy, since the discussion is about Warn winches with synthetic line I wanted to ask if Warn's Spydura rope is the same as Amsteel Blue 75 used by Viking and why the instructions say to replace the rope every 12 months?

·
Registered
61 Posts

- Andy
I hear ya, good to know it's a tough choice ;)
I ended up ordering the 9.5cti-s mostly for size, I kept looking at the Zeon and thinking it looked awkwardly big. I have a Poison Spyder Brawler Lite bumper where it will ride on top (not recessed) so it would fit without mod, but I'm not afraid of the older Warn clutch, and I'm trying to run light up front so the extra 10-15Lbs for the Zeon along with the size issue tipped the scales, but certainly not by much, the Z seems to be a great winch also. Appreciate your participating in the forum, Andy!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'd like to hear the same

My current options are
Zeon 10 for 899, sell the cable and fairlead for $75 and get the amsteel blue line

OR

Zeon 10S for 1149

·
Registered
821 Posts
The zeon is IP68 rated meaning it is incredibly waterproof. It can work submerged at least for 30 minutes over 1 meter deep with no issues to get the rating. That was important to me being in the Midwest with lots of water and road salt in winter. Hopefully the full shield (sold separately $20) will protect the rope from most of the road salt.

Im not sure how water resistant the 9.5cti is.

For me personally wanting something waterproof it was between the Superwinch Tallon 9.5 and the Zeon 10s. On paper the superwinch looked better for synthetic rope. It has faster line speed by about 2:1, and an external break outside the drum(better for low heat descents with synthetic). I went with a warn based off reputation, USA manufactured, ability to get parts, you can protect the rope with a small plate vs a full cover, and it looks cool. It seems like warn also pulled less amps, and it comes with 100' vs 80' of rope.

Andy, since the discussion is about Warn winches with synthetic line I wanted to ask if Warn's Spydura rope is the same as Amsteel Blue 75 used by Viking and why the instructions say to replace the rope every 12 months?
The Spydura has a red heat sock that is long enough to cover the first wrap of the drum. There is a heat shrink that holds its ends on. It's a protection from the heat when unloading under pressure (break heat). That would be one difference. It also comes with a 3-4' abrasion slidable sock which I think is pretty standard when buying rope.

As far as the material itself I found this below from http://www.jk-forum.com/mobile.php?do=login . It seem like you need to find out if the Warn and Viking product are SK-75, SK78, or SK-90 to see if they are equal.
I know I am late to the party, but we sailors have been using synthetic rope (we call it line) for years. The Warn Spydura is basically the same as Amsteel Blue. That is they are both Dyneema. From the specs and information I am not able to ascertain if the Warn product is SK-75, SK78, or SK-90. I would assume it is SK-75 because of cost and availability. Amsteel is the brand name Samson uses for Dyneema. New England Ropes calls it ST-12. Yale Cordage calls it Ultrex and Marlow calls it D12Max. Any of these or even some unknown line maker in Europe or China could be making Warn's Spydura.

If you can get the Amsteel or any other Dyneema SK-75 line at a better price - get it. If not stick with the Warn.

As for Working loads, Warn is using a safety factor of 2. A safety factor of 5 or more is preferred, but to get to the 10,000 lb SWL they would need to use 5/8" line.

UV is very hard on Dyneema so be sure to protect the line as best you are able. Also do NOT tie knots in the line. If you must adjust the length or do anything, see a rigger or a sailing store who can put a splice in it for you. Splices are stronger than the line itself. Any knot will reduce the strength of the line to 40-80% of its original breaking strength.

Hope this helps
Jim

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,474 Posts
I am with Andy on this one. I really like both but the Zeon is sitting here going on our new build. But, like has been said, you need to make sure it will fit the application your trying to use it on. The Zeon has a longer foot print.

Zeon 10:
WARN ZEON 10
10-S:
WARN ZEON 10-S Synthetic

9.5 CTI
WARN 9.5cti

All with free shipping...

-Jason

·
Vendor
103 Posts
Our Spydura rope is made of the same comparable material as Amsteel Blue SK-75. It is not Amsteel Blue, however. It is the same base fiber material, but there are construction and weave differences between Amsteel Blue SK-75 and WARN Spydura.

As far as the time period for replacement, for liability reasons, we put 12 months as the change interval.

- Andy

·
Registered
801 Posts
Our Spydura rope is made of the same comparable material as Amsteel Blue SK-75. It is not Amsteel Blue, however. It is the same base fiber material, but there are construction and weave differences between Amsteel Blue SK-75 and WARN Spydura.

As far as the time period for replacement, for liability reasons, we put 12 months as the change interval.

- Andy
Thanks Andy that's good to know. I think many suspected the 12 month replacement came from lawyers rather than engineers.

For those looking to use a Zeon in a low-winch mount position am I correct that it does not fit between the frame rails? So it would be a good candidate for a top mount or slightly recessed but not a low-mount ??

·
Vendor
2,910 Posts
Thanks Andy that's good to know. I think many suspected the 12 month replacement came from lawyers rather than engineers.

For those looking to use a Zeon in a low-winch mount position am I correct that it does not fit between the frame rails? So it would be a good candidate for a top mount or slightly recessed but not a low-mount ??
Top Mount here!

·
Vendor
103 Posts

It depends on the bumpers. Some manufacturers' bumpers will accommodate the ZEON. Some won't. It's best to ask the manufacturer, since we only test fitment on our bumpers.

Speaking of, here's a list of our bumpers that the ZEON will fit:

Warn Industries - ZEON "Fit" List

- Andy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Going a bit against the Zeon tide here, but my 9.5cti-s came in today and after I got home tonight, I had to install it. Good midnight garage sesh. I'll spool it tomorrow, done for tonight!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Warn 9.5cti in Stealth Mode

I'm rocking my Warn 9.5cti in stealth mode under a custom oiled-leather cover with a hand-tooled "Zombie Outbreak Response Team" badge that brilliant local leatherworker made for me. I'll be getting some better pictures posted soon.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 67 Posts