Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son (He is 9) and I just installed the winch plate by Hard Rock for the stock JK bumper along with the Warn Zeon 10S. I had used their 9.5ti before but this has to be their best looking winch ever.

The plate installed without a hitch ... they have a great video on the Hard Rock web site. If I was doing it again, I would have six (6) of those funky trim fasteners new from the dealer since it's easiest to drill thru them to get them out and I do want to re install that plastic piece underneath.

They say you can do the job without taking the bumper completely off ... that worked for me just fine. An air ratchet with extensions/universal makes the bumper bolts a lot easier to work with.

The only problem I had was getting the synthetic winch line installed. The loop at the end will not go thru the hole in the drum. They give you a zip tie to attach to the loop and pull it thru ... good luck with that. A super heavy duty zip tie didn't work either.

My son actually figured out the solution before I did. He got a heavy duty boot lace that we wrapped round and round the fair lead and then used the power of the winch to pull the loop thru the hole far enough to insert the key.

The way the plate works is clever. The strength comes from the tow hooks.

We took these pics as soon as we spooled the line by hand. We reloaded it using another vehicle with a tow hook that we pulled up a long incline ... you get a much better wrap that way.

To the guy who gave me the tip and discount code for Zoro ... sorry I forget who that was but thanks very much.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
My son (He is 9) and I just installed the winch plate by Hard Rock for the stock JK bumper along with the Warn Zeon 10S. I had used their 9.5ti before but this has to be their best looking winch ever.

The plate installed without a hitch ... they have a great video on the Hard Rock web site. If I was doing it again, I would have six (6) of those funky trim fasteners new from the dealer since it's easiest to drill thru them to get them out and I do want to re install that plastic piece underneath.

They say you can do the job without taking the bumper completely off ... that worked for me just fine. An air ratchet with extensions/universal makes the bumper bolts a lot easier to work with.

The only problem I had was getting the synthetic winch line installed. The loop at the end will not go thru the hole in the drum. They give you a zip tie to attach to the loop and pull it thru ... good luck with that. A super heavy duty zip tie didn't work either.

My son actually figured out the solution before I did. He got a heavy duty boot lace that we wrapped round and round the fair lead and then used the power of the winch to pull the loop thru the hole far enough to insert the key.

The way the plate works is clever. The strength comes from the tow hooks.

We took these pics as soon as we spooled the line by hand. We reloaded it using another vehicle with a tow hook that we pulled up a long incline ... you get a much better wrap that way.

To the guy who gave me the tip and discount code for Zoro ... sorry I forget who that was but thanks very much.

Bill
Looks good! I had a heck of time getting the rope through the first time as well. The second time after having to take it off because I forgot the nylon sleeve) I ended up using a piece of bent coat hanger and some pliers--that worked like a charm.

Then I found out the winch was defective so I had to remove it and ship it back. The third time putting it on with the new winch was so easy from having done it before I was actually shocked to see it pulled through and ready to insert the pin (again, pulling it through with the coat hanger).

Did my final tensioning by parking my wife's Explorer on the street, putting it in park and then winching my Jeep up to it on her tow hook with light pressure on the brake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts