Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at Warn winches, and like the Zeon series.
Is the 8000 large enough for wrangler unlimited?
I wound not be using much, more for insurance, but price wise, the 10,000 is big jump.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I asked a similar question last year. The best answer I got was buy the most powerful winch you can afford. You don't want to be wishing you spent an extra couple bucks when you are stuck in the forest.

I ended up getting a 10K. The 8K made me a bit nervous even considering a double line pull.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Get the 10k. You only feel that pain once, up front, and it provides endless hours of comfort after.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The price on Zeon 12 is cheaper than Zeon 10, by $60, any negatives buying the Zeon 12? I am going with wire instead of rope.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The price on Zeon 12 is cheaper than Zeon 10, by $60, any negatives buying the Zeon 12? I am going with wire instead of rope.
I went exactly this route with the Zeon 12, and used logic of cheaper price, more power, and same weight. Got it in the mail today! :bop:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Granted I have a two door however I got the 8. Given the fact that it's warns business to sell winches if they say 1.5 your weight is fine I'll tend to believe them. They could have easily said double and then I would have thought harder on a 10. My double line pull is limited to military equipment I've never had to do that for a wheeled vehicle even when buried to the mirrors. Only had to do it once to a tracked vehicle. And that winch is rated 1-1 to the vehicle I was recovering which was buried to top of the turret. Others may have needed to maybe I've just been lucky. For the 12 vs 10 question go on warns site they'll have the winch measurements. If your bumper can take it then go for it. Seems most can only accommodate the 10.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When I was doing my research the physical dimensions of the 10 vs 12 are identical. The only major differences I could find are the line pull lbs, line speed, and amps drawn. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at Warn's web sight, no difference in size or weight, between 10 or 12.
I don't have bumper yet, but if Zeon 10 fits most bumper, than 12 should work.
Niche650 did you go with wire or rope? On your Zeon 12?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I went 8 and snatch block. If I need more than that i don't think 10 or 12 is going to matter!!! Never been somewhere when someone had a winch that wasn't quite enough where a couple extra thousand #s changed the situation. Not to say it doesn't happen, just not to me.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If it's the same dimensions then bumper manufactures may be thinking worse case someone doing a max pull with a snatch block. 24k lbs is a lot of tug while keeping the bumper attached. I can see why they say 10k max winch size.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looking at Warn's web sight, no difference in size or weight, between 10 or 12.
I don't have bumper yet, but if Zeon 10 fits most bumper, than 12 should work.
Niche650 did you go with wire or rope? On your Zeon 12?
Wire...it doesn't look like Warn has any rope that supports a 12K pull.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Went with a rope myself. That wire is heavy both sitting out on the front bumper and when you have to drag it somewhere and you will find that out when you go to unspool your winch to install, then when you go to wind it back up on the winch.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages just have to pick your poison.

As for the poundage of the winch, 10 would be my recommendation but if a 12 is cheaper, why not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts