Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running one of these, or has anyone seen one in use? They are crazy spendy, but have some cool features.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's just a normal zeon with a fancy remote
Not according to the specs it isn't. Line speed, drum length, etc. are different. Not much different, but different. I think it is more fare to say that it is an upgraded zeon, but still similar.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I was looking at them but not sure I want to trust a remote 100%. I do not think there is a way to manually engage/disengage the clutch or control the winch if the remote were to break or batteries were dead when you needed it.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at them but not sure I want to trust a remote 100%. I do not think there is a way to manually engage/disengage the clutch or control the winch if the remote were to break or batteries were dead when you needed it.
That is a good point--it is one more thing to potentially go wrong.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I just bought the regular Zeon 10-s because I couldn't justify $500 for an LCD screen on the remote. I did however buy the regular wireless remote for mine. Works great. I also carry the wired remote just in case the batteries fail me.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
This gets me every time - I see 'Warn Zeon", I immediately think in my head, "Warren Zevon", haha.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
The Platinum line is also waterproof where the regular line has nothing listed like that.
According to Warns website, the standard Zeon is also meets IP68 standards.

https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON.shtml

I believe the regular Zeon is waterproof as well. Maybe not to the extent of the Platinum but I never planned on having my winch submerged for long periods of time.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The best thing about it is the elimination of the manual clutch. This has several significant advantages:

- Mounting position. You can practically completely hide away the winch without having to worry about getting access to the clutch lever. This is not such a huge issue on Wranglers but can be a significant issue for mounting on other vehicles. It does, however, give way for people to get more creative about how these winches are mounted on Jeeps. Since you don't need direct access to the clutch lever it becomes limitless how you can hide this thing away in a bumper or the frame.

- Speed and access: If I can just flip the clutch from the remote this can save you a lot of time, instead of having the driver get out or another person scramble over rocks or through a mud pit to get to the clutch. Kind of nice.

Honestly i think the wireless clutch is a super nice feature. It would be great in competition or for super technical obstables and deep mud traps. Just don't know if it's worth the significant extra expense for everyday trail riding. Also if you drop power in the remote you're stuck, or if it breaks then you are probably looking at a very spendy replacement.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
The best thing about it is the elimination of the manual clutch. This has several significant advantages:

- Mounting position. You can practically completely hide away the winch without having to worry about getting access to the clutch lever. This is not such a huge issue on Wranglers but can be a significant issue for mounting on other vehicles. It does, however, give way for people to get more creative about how these winches are mounted on Jeeps. Since you don't need direct access to the clutch lever it becomes limitless how you can hide this thing away in a bumper or the frame.

- Speed and access: If I can just flip the clutch from the remote this can save you a lot of time, instead of having the driver get out or another person scramble over rocks or through a mud pit to get to the clutch. Kind of nice.

Honestly i think the wireless clutch is a super nice feature. It would be great in competition or for super technical obstables and deep mud traps. Just don't know if it's worth the significant extra expense for everyday trail riding. Also if you drop power in the remote you're stuck, or if it breaks then you are probably looking at a very spendy replacement.
I agree with all of your points. If it had a manual backup available or even a hardwired option to go with the remote, I would have ordered one already.

·
Registered
481 Posts
There is another benefit I forgot about and it's that it keeps hoodlums from messing with your winch.

Years ago there was a rash of vandalism where jerks were disengaging the clutches on people's winches, pulling the line out and over the top of the Jeep to affix to the rear, re-engaging the clutch, and then causing a short on the controller plug to cause the winch to pull the line in. Thus crushing the top and windshield. Have also seen people pull the line out and wrap the cables around a tree or another car without the driver knowing.

No clutch lever, no tom-foolery. The line's always locked when you put it away. This would be a reason to not have a manual backup.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I plan on ordering the 12 pretty soon..

It is claimed to be twice as durable as previous generation winches.
20% faster line speed.
High performance motor and stronger gear train
IP68 waterproof in Warns highest level
Has accessory port on winch
Remote clutch

The Remote does this:
Controls the clutch
It also gives you instant temp feedback of the motor,
Monitors vehicle battery charge level
The controller will control the winch plus two accessories.

BTW...You can charge the remote via USB or Cig. Plug

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Manual clutch or not, if it's buried in the mud you still are gonna have to get to the line to spool out. Or on rocks. Or wherever.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I plan on ordering the 12 pretty soon..

It is claimed to be twice as durable as previous generation winches.
20% faster line speed.
High performance motor and stronger gear train
IP68 waterproof in Warns highest level
Has accessory port on winch
Remote clutch

The Remote does this:
Controls the clutch
It also gives you instant temp feedback of the motor,
Monitors vehicle battery charge level
The controller will control the winch plus two accessories.

BTW...You can charge the remote via USB or Cig. Plug
^ THIS.
Those accessory ports are like a mini Spod. Run your lights (or whatever ) right there, but the increased durability and strength over the previous iteration of these is why I have a 12 plat sitting in my shop waiting to drop into a new E1 bumper. Also, with the drums and clearances being identical to the 10/10-s, you can switch the cable to synthetic pretty readily. Master Pull made me up a line that can handle the extra pull strength present when almost fully spooled out...
Also, for those concerned with a battery failing in the remote, there is a supplied USB cable that will instantly turn on remote (even if fully drained) for use...plugs into the cigarette/12v adapter....

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

I have seen this on the new Hard Rock bumpers. With my experience and Jeepers off road I tend to dislike this idea. Seems every time you go to pull rope/wire it is kinked caught between layers on the drum.

I know it is not the fault of the winch but the owner. Still, you can't just move vehicles around so working on the drum requires access in order to get the job done.

Placing the winch deep behind a bumper severely limits access to the drum during recovery and reloading wire/rope evenly during or after a pull.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts