Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you here, I learned about "the best bulbs" for your headlights on this forum. And like many of you, I went to Amazon and bought me Philips X-treme Power 9008 xps2.
I sent a PM with couple of questions to one of the guys on this forum which has the reputation that he has knowladge about the lights, waited 2 days, and after no reply, decided to swap my bulbs.
Remind you, I have 2013 Rubicon, so I guess, the following apply s only to this vehicle, although there is a great chance that all 2013 have same lights/bulbs.
I took down the grill, pulled out the old bulb and compared it to the new one.
Everything looked the same. Same manufacturer (Philips), same numbers stamped on the bulbs, same inside design of the bulb. The only difference is that new bulbs had bright silver tip on the top of the bulb and the old (original) bulbs had gray color on the top of the bulb.
Went to garage to turn them on, and they look exactly the same as old did.
Tonight I am going out and I will verify this, but from what I know now - if you have 2013 - don't waste your time and money, buying these bulbs.

P.S. I did wonder, why are all these guys here bitching about "bad and weak" original headlights/bulbs. But I figured, if I go for it, it would be even better. As you can see - I was wrong.
At least now I have spares. ;)

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
They are the same brand, but the internals are totally different.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Well that is a bummer.... (Or good if the 2013's have improved headlights).

I guess I will be returning mine.

Can you take a side-by-side pick? And maybe a headlight on shot with one new and one old bulb in the Jeep?

·
Registered
403 Posts
The bulb is probably not the cause of the bad OE lighting as much as the reflectors in the headlamp itself.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My 2013 Rubi headlights were pretty dismal, don't think they were improved at all. Just installed the Hella H4 Rallylights kit today.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I have only ever seen swapping the bulb referred to as being moderately better. Maybe you were expecting too much?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Internals are totally same !!
Same brand, and same numbers all over it !
No they aren't, they are totally different. Pop the Xtreme Power bulbs in and you'll immediately see the difference in light temperature and pattern.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
OP - are you sure you ordered the X-treme Power or did you mistakenly order stock Philips H13/9008 bulbs?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I tried various bulbs in my 08JK. Waste of time/$$ IMHO.

Then I spent nearly $400 on the set up advised by Hilldweller & D. Stern.

Best money I've spent on ANY mod any time in my life.

Cost me $60 for tech to install the whole set up, money well spent.

Best legal head lights I've ever had, with no glare to oncoming traffic, yet I can SEE stuff in the darkest of night and in the heaviest downpour of PNW monsoon weather.

I'm not selling anything and I don't care what anyone else runs.

This works great for my needs.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I am back.
I drove tonight with the new bulbs, and (in my opinion) there was no difference between the old (OEM) bulbs and these new X-treme Power bulb (and yes - I am sure it is X-treme 9800 because I am holding the box and label in my hand).
At some point thought that I noticed new bulb has a little wider pattern, and I could see more of the sides of the road. And that would be the only difference that I could tell. Overall - if there is the difference between the old bulb and the new bulb, only this guy here on the forum with the monkey face avatar would notice it.
If I knew this before hand, would not buy and definitely would not go through pain of installing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No they aren't, they are totally different. Pop the Xtreme Power bulbs in and you'll immediately see the difference in light temperature and pattern.
Look Xman,
I took a close look at the old bulb and the new bulb. Side by side.
There is NO freaking difference whatsoever between the design of two, Internal and outside.
Secondly, what is it that you drive ? Do you have 2012 or 2013 ?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol at the op getting angry at people posting.
No, I am not.
I just explained (two times) that I looked closely to old and new bulbs, side by side, and saw no difference, and this guy is coming back saying that they are "totally different".
wtf ?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
OP _ post some pics of the bulbs side by side please. We can see what you are referring to that way, maybe there was a bulb redesign recently?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OP _ post some pics of the bulbs side by side please. We can see what you are referring to that way, maybe there was a bulb redesign recently?
Help me understand this :
you want me to go out, take of my grill, dissemble my headlight, pull out the bulb, take a picture, put back a bulb, assemble the headlight, put the grill back ??
After that, you want me to take the picture of the old bulb, and post both of them ?
:banghead:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts