Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning to those buying NEW Jeep Wranglers

Got my answer from Jeep just now .....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Customer:
Case #: 22774897 Vehicle Description: JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED SAHARA 4X4 SPORT UTILITY 4-DOOR

Hi this is Russell your Case Manager. The Business Center has deemed your vehicle as operating as designed and that no repairs are needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is in reference to this type of condition ( see this post )

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/2012-fender-stress-crack-causing-paint-to-crack-124539.html

I do not want to hear how all the plastic fenders have it and it is NORMAL.
It is a HORRIBLE surface preparation before painting on the painted fenders.
Like I said to them and in that post. If it was the same on BOTH fenders
then I would consider it NORMAL. So if your happy spending 30 to 40
THOUSAND dollars of your hard earned money for a crappy paint job
then sign on the line and take delivery. Otherwise .... consider yourself
PREWARNED about it and get it in WRITTING that your Dealer or Jeep
will repair the fenders like they should be. I wish I saw that old post
before signing my purchase order. You should see some of the fenders
I checked at some dealers. I am happy mine are not as bad as those.
Good Luck ...
Rob ....

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Wow. It's obviously defective--since when does new paint crack for no reason?

Go get a quote to get it painted, and file a small claims action to pay for it. That should get a response.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem is that is is NOT a paint crack.
It looks like that but upon a much deeper inspection what
it really is, is the mold line that you see on the plastic fender
version. So instead of prepping them CORRECTLY before painting
they do a BUTCHER job. Don't believe me .... Go check ANY Dealer
lot. I asked for more info for a Class Action Lawsuit but they said
all they would give me is what I posted above. I took out the VIN
number but the rest is all that was there other than a contact
mail address for their Bussiness Center.
Rob ....

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Its a mold line and the sharp edge doesn't allow paint to adhere very well. Same thing happens on sharp edges of sheet metal.

robskully - what did your dealer say?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Also, I assume your been denied warranty coverage from the dealer, correct?

I'll assume so. Now help me understand. Are you saying you'd need to replace the flares, or can this be fixed with a new paint job?

Either way, don't bother thinking "class action." That's often yammered about by lay people and is almost unfailing a meaningless, empty threat that makes you look juvenile.

You're a long, long way from getting together any type of filing that would be sufficient to initiate a class action. And even if you did, you'd make a lot of money for lawyers, very little money for you, and it would likely take years before any sort of resolution is reached. Not a good plan.

Now, a small claims lawsuit you can actually file tomorrow, and it can actually get you the money you need to fix the problem in reasonably short order.

So tell me, which approach sounds more plausible and practical to you? Exactly.

Figure out what it takes to fix it, get a written quote on the work, walk down to your local courthouse and get all of the forms associated with filing a small claims suit, do a little online research to figure out how you serve papers on Chrysler corporation, and file and serve the suit appending your estimates.

It'll be more practical for Chrysler to just pay you than actually defend the claim I'd expect. But even if not, they'll be hard pressed to say that's "normal." The worst thing that happens is you lose or the matter becomes too burdensome to keep up with, and you've wasted your time.

JMHO.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike,
Your right ...
I am no Lawyer or protest to know anything about the process.
I just hear about that being used all the time.
Interesting about the small claims way of doing it.
Could you just name the Dealer instead or both.
Yes there is a Court house VERY close by to me
and it would cost them more just to send someone.
In my humble opinion .... Since it is so minor a paint
job that I thought when I first showed it to my Dealer
that they themselves would just fix it. I am not a painter
but I can not see it being big job to a Service Department
to remove 2 front fenders and lightly sand them down
and repaint then reinstall.
Rob ...

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Unless someone is seriously injured [loss of limbs, etc] or dies, you can just about forget about anything being a class action lawsuit. Even then, you'll only get pennies while the attorneys bringing the suit get most of the money.

Go here: New Hampshire Judicial Branch - Circuit Court District Division - Small Claims

Read, re-read, and understand the process of small claims. Look in your local library or contact an attorney to ensure that your presentation follows the State rules of civil procedure and is comprehensive/directly relevant. Judges don't like unprepared claimants or those who ramble.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a mold line and the sharp edge doesn't allow paint to adhere very well. Same thing happens on sharp edges of sheet metal.

robskully - what did your dealer say?
They are VERY new to the Jeep/Chrysler group like only a year
or two. They were a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership for a wicked
long time. When I first showed it to them they had no clue about it
and the Sales manager plus a bunch of others walked out to all the
Wrangler's they had and were SHOCKED to see how bad some of
them were. They took pictures and sent them to Chrysler for approval
to do Warranty work ( they were just doing it by the book ) since they
figured it would be no problem under Warranty. They came back to me
saying Chrysler said NO .... So I asked to see and meet the Zone Rep
they called the rep and he looked at pictures and said nope also. He
said the same B.S. that Chrysler said .... It is a NORMAL condition.
The Dealer said their hands we tied and I had to contact Jeep Customer
Care. As you can see, they replied the same.
Rob .....

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless someone is seriously injured [loss of limbs, etc] or dies, you can just about forget about anything being a class action lawsuit. Even then, you'll only get pennies while the attorneys bringing the suit get most of the money.

Go here: New Hampshire Judicial Branch - Circuit Court District Division - Small Claims

Read, re-read, and understand the process of small claims. Look in your local library or contact an attorney to ensure that your presentation follows the State rules of civil procedure and is comprehensive/directly relevant. Judges don't like unprepared claimants or those who ramble.
Like I said ... I just MENTIONED Class Action Law Suit but I no nothing
about how it works and just hear it all the time on TV.
Also ... Sorry I do NOT live in NH but in MA ....
I put Nashua, NH because it is the closest BIG town to where I live
in my one horse town ( Pepperell, MA ) .... LOL ...
This way someone would generally know where I live instead of
where the hell is THAT town.
Rob ...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
It can be fixed, the mold edge is sanded down properly and the flare is repainted. I had mine approved right before Chrysler decided it was costing them too much money and started denying the warranty claims.. Almost all Jeeps have it and Chrysler says it's not abnormal. IMO, it's crap what they are doing and the paint will start to chip/pull away especially if you hand wash yourself.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No need to shout. Members can only go off of what you publish.

Small Claims Courts
Wasn't shouting ... Just wanted to make it stand out more.
Guess I could have put it in small bold letters ... LOL ...
Thanks for the link :thumb:
Rob ....

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Italics, you mean. :wavey:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
It can be fixed, the mold edge is sanded down properly and the flare is repainted. I had mine approved right before Chrysler decided it was costing them too much money and started denying the warranty claims.. Almost all Jeeps have it and Chrysler says it's not abnormal. IMO, it's crap what they are doing and the paint will start to chip/pull away especially if you hand wash yourself.
Jeebus that is ghastly. Think about what this means for a moment.

So when they believed it was a small problem, they concluded it was a manufacturing defect that would remedied under warranty. The problem got larger, and so now they believe it is NOT a manufacturing defect.

Convenient, no?

One would think whether something is a defect or not would be an objective determination, untethered to the size or cost of actually fixing the issue. But Chrysler apparently wants to take the angle that only small matters are defects, while large ones are not.

And you better believe there's going to be emails or paperwork somewhere to that effect. And that's all discoverable in litigation. Yikes. Not sure I'd want to be trying to explain that to a judge somewhere. :whistling:

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
Jeebus that is ghastly. Think about what this means for a moment.

So when they believed it was a small problem, they concluded it was a manufacturing defect that would remedied under warranty. The problem got larger, and so now they believe it is NOT a manufacturing defect.

Convenient, no?

One would think whether something is a defect or not would be an objective determination, untethered to the size or cost of actually fixing the issue. But Chrysler apparently wants to take the angle that only small matters are defects, while large ones are not.

And you better believe there's going to be emails or paperwork somewhere to that effect. And that's all discoverable in litigation. Yikes. Not sure I'd want to be trying to explain that to a judge somewhere. :whistling:

We did quite a few of these under warranty and then Chrysler told our service manager that it is normal and in not so many words "would not be paying warranty claims for this issue."

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Interesting about the small claims way of doing it. Could you just name the Dealer instead or both.
You've been linked to some good local resources, so read them carefully. They should overrule anything I say. As would any input you receive from a local lawyer who agrees to represent you in the matter.

As for whether to go after either the dealer, Chrysler, or both, that's a surprisingly complicated question--there are strategic considerations every which way.

You could name both, but my instinct would be to not. First of all, it appears this is a Chrysler decision. Second of all, if Chrysler believes the dealer should somehow be responsible, then nothing stops Chrysler from filing the motion to join their own dealer. You can always join the dealer yourself later as well if you think it advantageous.

Given that this is such a "small potatoes" issue, a driving factor in my initial approach would be to keep it simple, and doubling the number of defendants doesn't do that. Sometimes you have to bring in multiple parties . . . at this point, knowing what I know, I don't think this is one of those times.

·
The Bad Guy
23,254 Posts
Are we talking Sahara painted fenders here?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.