Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 4dr (black bear edition), my rear driver side door has always been difficult to remove.

I really had to fight to get it off the first couple of times and per advise of this forum I installed delrin hinge inserts/liners and applied lithium greas to the hinges. That improved things but that door was still a lot more difficult to get out than the other three.

Last Sunday after the long and salty New England winter I swapped my hard top out and said hey I've got 20 mins why don't I take my doors off (it was only about 70 degrees but I was all excited to go topless and doorless again!).

I was not able to remove that rear drivers side door, I pulled on it for several minutes. Then tonight I noticed that the door doesn't swing as freely as the others. I am afraid that it might be warped.

If it is warped then is that something that could be addressed under warranty?

Should I take this to the dealer, or is there an obvious easy fix that I'm missing?

·
Registered
183 Posts
have u dropped the door ever? take it to the dealer and see that what say, they will prob blame ur delrin inserts u installed lol

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
have u dropped the door ever? take it to the dealer and see that what say, they will prob blame ur delrin inserts u installed lol
No the door has never been dropped. I am afraid that they will blame me but then again what have I got to lose?

Perhaps the body side hinges aren't as square/plumb as they should be and the door hinge is binding. Just a shot in the dark here...
What you are suggesting sounds plausible. I wonder if i can adjust them or if I should just have the dealer take care of this.

·
Super Moderator
4,556 Posts
No the door has never been dropped. I am afraid that they will blame me but then again what have I got to lose?

What you are suggesting sounds plausible. I wonder if i can adjust them or if I should just have the dealer take care of this.
How well do you know and trust your dealer. I have never met a dealer I trust to where I would bring something to them if I could fix it myself. But that is your call, there is a chance the dealer would properly fix this. There is also a chance the dealer could waste a bunch of your time and even make it worse. But the one question would be, if you decide to try and resolve the issue yourself without bringing it to the dealer first and the dealer sees that the hinges have been monkeyed with (say by marks on the bolts) you may be even more on your own.
All that said, I would very carefully loosen the hinges and see if I could adjust them so that the door worked as it should. Just try not to bugger the bolts.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
How well do you know and trust your dealer. I have never met a dealer I trust to where I would bring something to them if I could fix it myself. But that is your call, there is a chance the dealer would properly fix this. There is also a chance the dealer could waste a bunch of your time and even make it worse. But the one question would be, if you decide to try and resolve the issue yourself without bringing it to the dealer first and the dealer sees that the hinges have been monkeyed with (say by marks on the bolts) you may be even more on your own.

All that said, I would very carefully loosen the hinges and see if I could adjust them so that the door worked as it should. Just try not to bugger the bolts.

I would second this...also, as for trusting your dealer, it's a slippery slope. I would rather recommend you find the one guy inevitably that works back in the shop that actually wheels his jeep. That's the guy to get to know. I had a hinge issue that was actually the source of a passenger side A pillar whistle. Basically after replacing seals under warranty, and having the body shop try to solve the whistle, I scheduled an appointment with the dealership shop and requested the guy that I had gone wheeling with a few times. He even let me come back and watch/help troubleshoot. After looking things over for five minutes he pointed out that the drivers side door set about 3/16" deeper into the door jamb than the passenger side was. We loosened the top hinge bolts and were able to use the door as a fulcrum to shift the door in the right amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know my dealer well. I only visit them to pick up a genuine mopar oil filter when its time to change oil. I suppose I could try this myself but if I am totally honest I am a little nervous that I will screw it up.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just a quick follow up. I attempted to adjust the door myself and while i managaed to get it to swing freely it was still out of alignment - the top of the door was out by 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch.

So I made an appointment and took it into the dealer who took care of it under warranty!

It was 90 here today and my doors were off!
:iamhappy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts