Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of this week, my 3-year warranty is over. I've lifted and modified to the point that I'm not sure I could get the dealer to provide warranty work on the drivetrain anyway. Other than visiting the parts department to pick up a couple of items, I've been to the dealership twice in 3 years...to get my first free oil change, and to have them do the recall work on the soft top. Otherwise, my JKU has been trouble-free.

So why am I so nervous?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Probably because every time a problem is posted here, even silly crap, some nerd chimes in with "warranty" as the solution. ;)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just curious how many miles did you put on her?
Not quite 30,000. That's after a 2000 mile trip up and around SE Kentucky, Tennessee and N. Georgia last week. Went to Windrock Off-Road Park for some light wheeling (since I was by myself) and a couple of state parks. Jeep held up great on the trip.

·
Registered
640 Posts
There is a part of me that can't wait for the warranty to be over... but the auto loan payments being over is going to be a bigger threshold I think. This is my first vehicle where I am looking forward to spending more on it, not dreading every penny spent.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FWIW your powertrain still has another 2 years of warranty to go...
True, although I'm really only counting on the engine and maybe transmission being covered under the 5 years. I expect the drive shafts won't be covered, and of course, the suspension has largely been replaced.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There is a part of me that can't wait for the warranty to be over... but the auto loan payments being over is going to be a bigger threshold I think. This is my first vehicle where I am looking forward to spending more on it, not dreading every penny spent.
I waited 2 years before I did my lift and wheels/tires, partly due to worrying about warranty issues. Now, I realize that was probably unnecessary worrying, although I did get to learn how to use my Jeep in stock form. I can't stop spending money on it now, my list just keeps growing. :D

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Quick!
Take it in for oil change before your warranty expires and have them check your balljoints for play, driveline boots for tears and front axle u-joints for wear.

If they diagnose it as a problem before your warranty expires the work will still be covered. As long as it gets documented before the expiration date your still covered.

I've got a post-warranty new rear driveline in mine to prove it. Small tear in boot, they said wait and see if it slings grease. It did and they replaced it months after warranty expired.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^Good idea. I'll do that this week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts