Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used JL with some factory warranty remaining. However, this is a Rocky Ridge build since new and I'm wondering how many exclusions there are to the manufacturer and any extended warranty coverage. Do Jeep owners recommend a specific type of extended warranty that is ok with aftermarket mods? If something under warranty failed right now, like the transmission, would the warranty not cover it because of the mods? Appreciate any insight.

·
Super Moderator
23,791 Posts
Never heard of a rocky ridge build but probably anything that is added on or changed won't be covered. Transmissions can be tricky if you have over size tires because all FCA has to say is your transmission was built to hold up to factory size tires not over size tires. It is always a crap shoot when it comes to mechanical stuff. now things like radios or seat brackets etc those should not be affected.

Reactions: SmokeyRidge

·
Retired Moderator
104,208 Posts
Factory warranty, is for defective parts and workmanship, applicable to items installed at time of factory build. Any warranty on modded items would be covered by the mod installer. As for the Factory installed parts, just because yours is modded, these original parts still carry the original factory warranty. One exception: If your Jeep dealer can prove to you, that the original factory part failed, and the cause of failure was do to a modded part, or a poorly labor install. Then get your wallet out $$$$$$...Ouch...

Reactions: Jay2011JK

·
Registered
506 Posts
There are so many non Mopar parts installed with a Rocky Ridge build that I'm sure the vendor installed parts are covered separately by the vendor warranty which it typically 2 years. As Old Dogger, said, the factory warranty, and a Mopar extended will only cover the factory installed parts.

I just purchased an extended Mopar warranty and two explicit questions were asked on the Jeep application. 1. Is it a 4 x 4? 2. Is it lifted?

If the Jeep is lifted with a Mopar lift kit up to 4 inches, Mopar will offer a separate Mopar lift kit warranty. It is not offered for aftermarket kits. And it covers what they call normal vehicle usage. Sounds worthless to me if you hang a 37 inch tire over a gap or go airborne over a dune and pull the suspended suspension apart. Others may have this warranty plan and can speak to it.

In my situation I do not lift my Jeeps and keep them 100% factory spec. So I purchased the 7 year/unlimited mileage warranty which currently is about the longest Mopar warranty available since they discontinued the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are so many non Mopar parts installed with a Rocky Ridge build that I'm sure the vendor installed parts are covered separately by the vendor warranty which it typically 2 years. As Old Dogger, said, the factory warranty, and a Mopar extended will only cover the factory installed parts.

I just purchased an extended Mopar warranty and two explicit questions were asked on the Jeep application. 1. Is it a 4 x 4? 2. Is it lifted?

If the Jeep is lifted with a Mopar lift kit up to 4 inches, Mopar will offer a separate Mopar lift kit warranty. It is not offered for aftermarket kits. And it covers what they call normal vehicle usage. Sounds worthless to me if you hang a 37 inch tire over a gap or go airborne over a dune and pull the suspended suspension apart. Others may have this warranty plan and can speak to it.

In my situation I do not lift my Jeeps and keep them 100% factory spec. So I purchased the 7 year/unlimited mileage warranty which currently is about the longest Mopar warranty available since they discontinued the lifetime warranty.
Thanks for the insight. I'm foregoing the warranty for now due to the caveats.

·
Super Moderator
12,151 Posts
It will depend on the dealer, unfortunately. Some won’t make a big deal of most mods; others won’t let you get away with anything.

It seems the latter group is growing by the day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts