Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used JKU in the US that had originally come from Canada. I didn't realize this until I did a CarFax after purchase (stupid, I know). The dealer definitely didn't say anything about it. It didn't really seem like a big deal until I called the local dealer to see if there were any recall or TSB items for it. He said nothing showed up and that even if there was an item, they couldn't honor it because it was a Canadian market Jeep.

It has 25k miles and is a 2016. So I kind of assumed the powertrain would still be under warranty when I bought it. Occasionally I have smelled coolant when parked, which is what spurred me to contact dealer about the radiator recall.

I am wondering if I contacted a Canadian dealership if it would show up in their database differently. Anyone every go through anything like this? Or possible Canadians that moved to US and brought their Jeep with them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
i wonder the same thing as i learned my jeep is from Canada too and bought in US. Found out after I went to add it into the myjeep app.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Pretty sure you are out of luck.

Reactions: WaltA

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
There is a legal way to import a foreign market Jeep to the US and keep it's warranty and then there is what usually happens. That is the vehicle is bought at auction by a dealer type and pushed thru a quickie rehab (or not) and placed for sale on the lot. As you found out, usually no one says a thing to the buyer and they find out the hard way.

FCAUS has no obligation to warranty a vehicle sold thru FCACA. They are different business units with different cost centers and the vehicles they sell have different specs. FCAUS will warranty another business units vehicle if the proper steps are taken though.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
A lot of grey market vehicles get sold here because they are priced cheap and people think they are getting a great deal on a low mileage, late model vehicle.

Unfortunately, warranty coverage does not transfer between countries. You have no recourse other than to try asking he dealer you purchased it from to help with your radiator.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I am not sure I would call it the "legal way", but FCA does have a procedure.

I forget the exact details, but basically, FCA requires you to have owned and used (registered, insured, etc) the vehicle in Canada for some length of time. Then be able to demonstrate the need for you to move from Canada to the USA (job transfer letter, etc), and thus taking your FCA vehicle with you. You submit all the require documentation to a special dept within FCA, and if all is OK, send you a "your warranty is good in the USA" letter.

Reactions: cranbiz

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm very interested in hearing more about this. I recently test drove a 17 JKUR Recon at a used car dealer. It was clear it was from Canada (import stickers on the door and the sticker was all in French...lol). The dealer seemed to think it still had a US powertrain warranty, but I'm not that trusting. The price also seemed way too low at $32k for a 37k mile vehicle that looked perfect and had none of the offroading marks under it that I'd recognize in a second.

The speedo was in MPH but I expect that was converted. The temp setting for the heat was in degrees C. Otherwise, just like any US version from what I could tell.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I see you are in Oregon?

...road trip up to Vancouver and get the radiator replaced?
so here is what I have read. If canadian jeep that gets registered in the US the warranty will no longer be honored in Canada so pretty messed up all the way around. Seems like something should be done to protect dealers from selling like this. I wonder if contacting the states AG office would help. Seems almost like fraud if the dealer is not divulging the issues involved.

Reactions: Old Dogger

·
Retired Moderator
100,458 Posts
I have seen this same question, several time in the past. It appears that your only warranty, is your wallet. There really should be a law against this. I think as already mentioned, calling the AG's office is a good place to start with......

·
Registered
93 Posts
Most states have laws to protect consumer on used car purchases from a licensed dealer. They may require a certain time and mileage warranty at dealerships expense (not FCA).
Check your states laws.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If the Jeep has a Can-Am warranty order code the warranty can be used in either the USA or Canada. If no Can-Am warranty code, you're out of luck. The code appears on the window sticker just like an option.

I don't think there is anything stopping the OP from buying an aftermarket extended warranty. A 2016 is likely beyond the 3/36 original warranty anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts