Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X to the shop because it was not shifting past 2nd gear. Had a check engine light on, but had been going on and off due to O2 sensors having trouble sometimes. Was told I needed a new transmission and engine because of these codes...anyone had anything similar??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Took my 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X to the shop because it was not shifting past 2nd gear. Had a check engine light on, but had been going on and off due to O2 sensors having trouble sometimes. Was told I needed a new transmission and engine because of these codes...anyone had anything similar??
How many miles on the vehicle? Has the transmission ever been serviced?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Need more info. What test did they do to determine replacement?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeep has 147,000 miles on it. Had the transmission lines replaced about a year ago. It was inspected, flushed, and replaced fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Need more info. What test did they do to determine replacement?
They based it on what the computer came out with on the scan for the transmission. For the engine, they did an engine block test. Some sort of blue fluid that turned yellow when connected to head gasket.

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Average lifetime of an automatic transmission is around 150-200 thousand miles. High temps will shorten the lifetime dramatically.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I guess you better trade it in on a new JLUR.

·
Premium Member
7,157 Posts
Sounds like you need a second opinion from another shop.

Reactions: Shark_13

·
Registered
879 Posts
The 3.8L with that many miles on it - doesn't sound unreasonable that it needs an engine and trans but I'd get a second opinion to be sure. I believe the engine test they did indicates where coolant and oil are mixing together, which is a bad thing.

Personally, if it were my Jeep with that many miles, I wouldn't be putting massive amounts of money into fixing that weak motor and trans. I'd either replace the motor/trans or upgrade to newer model Jeep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts