Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So this morning I had a scare when I saw a puddle underneath the driver side of the car. I later saw that it was from the windshield washer reservoir. The weather in Long Island has been freezing and I had the wrong fluid in it so it cracked.

Ive been looking everywhere online and cannot find the OEM part. Has anyone ever had this issue and does anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Mine has been doing it every year since 2010. As soon as the temps start to go down to approx. 10 degrees and below it will happen. The seal contracts with the extreme cold temps and the fluid will slightly leak out. It's actually pretty normal with most JK's. Nothing is cracked. You'll find once the temps come up the leak will stop. If the part is replaced chances are the same thing will happen. Mine was fine until the last couple of days when the temps went down to 0. You'll see when the temps come back up tomorrow the leak will stop. I keep minus 25 washer fluid in it. It won't crack but it will leak out as a result of the seal. I just leave mine alone and when it stops leaking with increased temps. I just add some fluid.

I picked up this part a few years ago thinking I would have to replace the strainer/grommet, but since it stops leaking I decided to leave it alone. If yours doesn't stop leaking this BMW part will fit perfect: Strainer/grommet # 61 66 7 006 063. Amazon has them for less than seven $. As I said, I bought one but have yet to use it.

If by chance you used fluid that you would use in the summer of course the bottle can crack, but if you used normal washer fluid good to minus 10 below, for example, you're fine. The washer reservoirs are available if yours did actually crack.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This just happened to my '13 in the driveway yesterday, I assumed the resivoir cracked, glad to see that may not be the case, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
My 2013 and 2014 both did and do it when sub zero. Not sure why but only when very cold.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
My 2013 and 2014 both did and do it when sub zero. Not sure why but only when very cold.
The strainer/grommet that fits into the washer reservoir is plastic and in extreme cold it contracts and leaks. The BMW part that I listed, which fits a JK, has a rubber grommet attached to the strainer instead of hard plastic which makes it less prone to leaking. It's more of a headache to swap it out so I left mine alone. Like you said and what I've experienced, when it warms up it stops leaking.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Mine leaked as well. I was going to get the BMW part, but I ended up taking it apart & sealing it with some butyl rubber. It's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys! Today was a a lot warmer. I didn't notice any leak or anything and it looks dry. I'm going to buy winter fluid today and fill it in and see if it happens again. I was worried the reservoir cracked or a hose. I'm just going to keep an eye on it after I change the fluid. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Trust me, it will happen again & again. While the fluid is low, the best thing to do is fix it.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Thank you guys! Today was a a lot warmer. I didn't notice any leak or anything and it looks dry. I'm going to buy winter fluid today and fill it in and see if it happens again. I was worried the reservoir cracked or a hose. I'm just going to keep an eye on it after I change the fluid. Thanks everyone!
As soon as the temps came back up yesterday mine stopped as it always does. I lost a few ounces. The leak comes from the strainer grommet. You should be fine. I use minus 25 fluid all year long. Mine will leak maybe 3 days out of the year and it's only a few ounces. That's acceptable for me. If it gets worse I'll install the new "BMW" strainer.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
It leaks around the grommet between the pump and the bottle.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Maybe it leaks so that it won't crack? Lets call it a design feature then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts