Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

261 - 280 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
I took the pic while back but I struggled to write the post. I had been telling the story behind each watch I post and this one is bitter sweet.

This watch was a gift to me from the most special person ever in my life. She bought it for me when I finished up the first year of my master’s degree at Texas A&M with a 4.0 in the summer of 2015. I didn’t have any watches with gold on them and the gold Aggie ring is something I was very excited to receive. We both had to make sacrifices for me to go back to school including putting off our wedding. She was proud of me and the sacrifices were supposed to be the ticket to us having an even better life down the road.

We were walking in a crosswalk when she was killed by a guy who was texting and driving in December that year. I was with her and well, I’ll spare all the details but the doctors said she was gone instantly.

She was, is and will always be the love of my life and my motivation to keep getting better. She was my perfect woman, she changed my life for the best and she even loved my JK. I left it home in the garage with the top and doors off one business trip I took, and she drove it for the week (yes she drove a manual). She sent me a text saying she felt like such a badass I wasn’t going to get my Jeep back 😊

For a while I wore it every day, but now I wear it sparingly so nothing too bad happens to it. I know it’s not the most expensive watch, but it’s obviously priceless to me.
Value does not equal money. Keep that forever and never forget her.

Gig 'em.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Value does not equal money. Keep that forever and never forget her.

Gig 'em.
very true,
I've been debating on getting some sort of display case for it that will let the light power the eco drive and use it as a desk clock to protect it but always have it close by.

Gig'em:thumb:

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
After wearing a couple G-Shocks and a Protrek that is starting to lose it's charge (either battery or solar collector) after 10 years I purchased a Suunto 9 Baro.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Probably my most practical watch, Citizen eco drive perpetual calendar with a chronograph mode as well. Its a lot of functionality on your wrist! Also there is something cool to me about the eco drive movement. No where the heritage or intricacy of a mechanical watch by any means, but I dunno, it has something special about it.

Model is E820 but from what I've come to understand the panda dial was exclusive to a chain of stores in Europe. I picked it up on eBay for a couple hundred bucks.

It has that Daytona look but its not quite a rep and its also not $18k+

The bracelet was pretty cheap feeling, especially compared to my other citizen bracelets so I put it on a nice leather strap from Bulang and Sons. Their straps are pricey but great, such a soft leather. The most comfortable strap I've even used.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
After wearing a couple G-Shocks and a Protrek that is starting to lose it's charge (either battery or solar collector) after 10 years I purchased a Suunto 9 Baro.
Finally a picture.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,264 Posts
No JK and no Rolex.

About 30 years ago I was walking through the mall and saw a watch I thought was cool in a jewelry store case. At that time I was running my own business and was flush with cash.
The woman at the counter showed me the watch and told me it was a a Rolex and a bargain at $12K. I said I'll have to think about that much money.
A few days later I used the $12K as down payment on a coin operated car wash. The car wash has been paid off for 20 years and continues to provide a moderate addition to my other income. The car wash paid for itself for the 10 years of mortgage payments and is worth >$250,000 today.

I don't remember what model the Rolex was, but I think the car wash was the better deal.

The Seiko keeps perfect time.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
I don't even wear a watch- got used to not wearing one when operating warehouse machinery a long time ago and now they feel funny- but the variety here is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
997 Posts
No JK and no Rolex.

About 30 years ago I was walking through the mall and saw a watch I thought was cool in a jewelry store case. At that time I was running my own business and was flush with cash.
The woman at the counter showed me the watch and told me it was a a Rolex and a bargain at $12K. I said I'll have to think about that much money.
A few days later I used the $12K as down payment on a coin operated car wash. The car wash has been paid off for 20 years and continues to provide a moderate addition to my other income. The car wash paid for itself for the 10 years of mortgage payments and is worth >$250,000 today.

I don't remember what model the Rolex was, but I think the car wash was the better deal.

The Seiko keeps perfect time.

Good Luck, L.M.
Wow, impressive story of restraint and success there! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
Watches: What's on your wrist while driving your JK?
Since it's my wife's JK it's her wrist. She doesn't usually wear her Fossil watch but she put it on for this pic.

I am looking for a nice watch for casual wear. After browsing through the 10 pages in this thread I am still looking. Although I am impressed by the diverse styles, nothing here really inspired me and some look like they are about as large as a wall clock with a wristband - LOL.

My $60 Casio is the most accurate watch I've ever owned. It syncs itself with the atomic clock signal 4x per day and is accurate to within 1 second of the correct time. However, I wear it at work and everywhere. It's a bit scratched up but it performs its primary function perfectly. It has both digital and analog time.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Since it's my wife's JK it's her wrist. She doesn't usually wear her Fossil watch but she put it on for this pic.

I am looking for a nice watch for casual wear. After browsing through the 10 pages in this thread I am still looking. Although I am impressed by the diverse styles, nothing here really inspired me and some look like they are about as large as a wall clock with a wristband - LOL.

My $60 Casio is the most accurate watch I've ever owned. It syncs itself with the atomic clock signal 4x per day and is accurate to within 1 second of the correct time. However, I wear it at work and everywhere. It's a bit scratched up but it performs its primary function perfectly. It has both digital and analog time.
Casios are great, the just keep going strong. Just about any quartz movement watch is going to keep better time than an automatic or manual wind, its the nature of the beast. I love my citizen eco drives and my seikos. the cost of the watch I own rarely equates to the joy i get from wearing it. Even the timex weekender is a fantastic watch that ramges from ~$30 to $75.
https://www.amazon.com/Timex-TWG012800QM-Unisex-Weekender-Leather/dp/B01GI8SU5O/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=timex+weekender&qid=1555087964&s=gateway&sr=8-2

the key is to find something you love on your wrist that fits the budget you want to spend. Youtube is a great resource for that.

for learning why some watches may be more than others try this

Just don't fall into the trap of buying a MVMT or Daniel Wellington watch. they are re-branded $5 watches from China that are marked up to $200. Bottom of the barrel cheap guts and cheap outside components. You can literately find the exact same watch with their name on it for $5 on aliexpress from china.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Took this one a few days ago and didn't get a chance to post.

Seiko Sportura kinetic GMT

This watch combo makes me feel like Indiana Jones. It looks ready for adventure.
I know its clearly "inspired" by the polar Rolex explorer ii. I love that watch but cant justify it, so this Seiko will have to do for me.

Its a kinda unique movement in that its part of the Kinetic series. It has a weighted wheel similar to an automatic wind watch but its there to charge the quartz movement.

Attachments

261 - 280 of 320 Posts