Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

301 - 320 of 320 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I'm a weirdo who keeps it simple.
Luckily, I rarely ever have to wear a suit. I'm talking 2 times, max, per year. I'm pretty much casual to dress casual 300 days per year.

I was about to say I'm sticking to one watch... but maaaaybe-- I don't know. In October I'm getting my wife a DateJust for both her 50th and in celebration of her launching her own business and I could get one for me... ehhhh... who knows.

You guys have no idea how close I am. Sitting here talking about it almost, ALMOST makes me do it. The one personal question that nags me regarding a dress watch is "what for?". I just don't have a compelling reason.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm a weirdo who keeps it simple.
Luckily, I rarely ever have to wear a suit. I'm talking 2 times, max, per year. I'm pretty much casual to dress casual 300 days per year.

I was about to say I'm sticking to one watch... but maaaaybe-- I don't know. In October I'm getting my wife a DateJust for both her 50th and in celebration of her launching her own business and I could get one for me... ehhhh... who knows.

You guys have no idea how close I am. Sitting here talking about it almost, ALMOST makes me do it. The one personal question that nags me regarding a dress watch is "what for?". I just don't have a compelling reason.
I typically like to keep it simple, but watches and vehicles are tough for me.
The great thing about a datejust is that you dont need to wear a suit to pull it off, it would work great on a date night to a decent restaurant with a button up shirt or even a polo.

You start getting into a cartier or something like that and I think it can start to look a little too dressy for more casual attire. I dont agree 100% with the picture below, (for instance I think some Chronographs are dressy) but its an ok guide.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts

I quit using smartwatches last year and went back to a nice mechanical. After searching and searching-- I settled on the Grand Seiko spring drive titanium diver. I was so close to getting a Rolex 126600, but I travel outside the U.S., sometimes to not so tourist friendly places. Wearing a $12K watch on the daily puts you on the radar, and I just didn't want to deal with that. I also wanted a watch that I could live in 24/7. I've always slept and showered in my watches so comfort was a must. Titanium is freaky LIGHT and the hand finished and polished edges are just flat out amazing. The spring drive sweep will put you to sleep.

After my first year, break-in accuracy averages right at 5-6 seconds a month. With1 dayleft in this month it looks like a hair over 5 seconds.

They say a watch has to be right for you, and this is definitely it for me. The only other watch I could be tempted by would be a spring drive all-titanium chronograph. I'm a one watch guy and I think I found mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0uk6L--p-o
Very, very nice my friend! Not many people here will know and/or appreciate exactly what a Grand Seiko is. (for those unaware, they're as expensive as a Rolex) Unfortunate, but what it tells me is you're a person not hung up on labels and can appreciate something for what it is without having to flash a fancy logo. Wish I could bring myself to spend that kind of change on a watch, but alas, I'll stick with only nice grade watches. lol
p.s. in no way am I bashing Rolexes, they're an amazing watch and a very important and innovative part of watch history.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Dragging out this old thread again to share my latest watch acquisition:
Omega, Speedmaster Triple Date/24 hr.
Man do I love this baby, she hasn't left my wrist since I picked her up except for bed and showers.
It came with an OEM lackluster gator print band, but I've since sourced the OEM alligator strap and OEM bracelet for it. Not any easy nor inexpensive task to undertake.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Varies depending on the occasion.
Ranges from no watch, to a Timex digital, Seiko Solar analog, a Seiko 5, a Tissot automatic dress watch, or a Hamilton dress watch.
I use NATO straps for the Seikos and swap between two different leather ones, a green nylon one, or a nylon strap with a design depending upon the occasion.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Dragging out this old thread again to share my latest watch acquisition:
Omega, Speedmaster Triple Date/24 hr.
Man do I love this baby, she hasn't left my wrist since I picked her up except for bed and showers.
It came with an OEM lackluster gator print band, but I've since sourced the OEM alligator strap and OEM bracelet for it. Not any easy nor inexpensive task to undertake.
Gorgeous!

I've gotten a couple nice straps from HDstraps.com. He does really good work and will do pretty much anything custom for you.

I also always want the OEM hardware though.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
One of my favorites, had it for 13 years and just back from a fresh service/cleaning...
I have had mine sice 1973 and it has served me well. I did the same and sent it back to Rolex. I think I regret having the face replaced as it looks brand new again. I don't wear it wheeling, and consider that play. We have endured to much real life together. I have a wrist band that was made using explosives to cut and shape both sides to fit my then young wrist and added a special hasp to prevent a snatch and grab. An emblem of the diving helmet on one side and fouled anchors on the other. All engraved with my name.

Why wear a watch when wheeling? There is a clock on the dash if, for some reason there is a need for the time of day. I have a saying, "If you're stuck, you're going now where fast." So I figure I'm stuck in the woods and enjoying the experience for as long as time allows...... The hood lets me know the weather, the shadows tell me the time. My belly lets me know when I am hungry my mouth when I am thirsty.

I do have a Timex and a compass if I need to wander a ways from the Jeep.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Awhile back I posted about looking for the right watch to honor my fiance who passed in 2015. I had sold off a lot of her things that I thought meant a lot to me but was sitting in boxes. I ended up with a good amount of money in the end and the goal of selling that stuff was to end up with a few things that meant a lot to me and that I could display. I decided on turning that stuff into a watch, one last gift from her that I could have with me anytime.

I pulled the trigger awhile back but never made a post about it.

Here it is, a Rolex polar dial Explorer ii

The serial number dates it back to 2003 production, which is the year we started dating. I chose the explorer because she loved to travel and she loved adventure. Before her, I had never been on an airplane let alone flown to the other side of the world.

If it wasn't for her, I would have never bought my first Jeep. I was too practical, but she loved living and told me just to buy it if it was my dream vehicle.

One business strip I left the Jeep in the garage with the top down and doors off and she drove it to work all week. She texted me that she felt like such a bad ass and w might need to trade cars. We had talks about how we would eventually have a loaded Rubicon instead of the stripped down JK but unfortunately she never got to see that Rubicon.

She loved going for rides in our JK and getting lost which she would call adventures and there is something about this watch that screams adventure to me. In the end when I was looking at options, this watch just felt like her.

I have the GMT hand set to Singapore time, which is the last place we visited together. And I have lyrics to what was going to be our wedding song engraved on the back, "However Far Away" which is fitting in so many respects now.

I've flipped a lot of watches especially in the recent 6-12 months, but this one will never leave my watch box.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
Awhile back I posted about looking for the right watch to honor my fiance who passed in 2015. I had sold off a lot of her things that I thought meant a lot to me but was sitting in boxes. I ended up with a good amount of money in the end and the goal of selling that stuff was to end up with a few things that meant a lot to me and that I could display. I decided on turning that stuff into a watch, one last gift from her that I could have with me anytime.

I pulled the trigger awhile back but never made a post about it.

Here it is, a Rolex polar dial Explorer ii

The serial number dates it back to 2003 production, which is the year we started dating. I chose the explorer because she loved to travel and she loved adventure. Before her, I had never been on an airplane let alone flown to the other side of the world.

If it wasn't for her, I would have never bought my first Jeep. I was too practical, but she loved living and told me just to buy it if it was my dream vehicle.

One business strip I left the Jeep in the garage with the top down and doors off and she drove it to work all week. She texted me that she felt like such a bad ass and w might need to trade cars. We had talks about how we would eventually have a loaded Rubicon instead of the stripped down JK but unfortunately she never got to see that Rubicon.

She loved going for rides in our JK and getting lost which she would call adventures and there is something about this watch that screams adventure to me. In the end when I was looking at options, this watch just felt like her.

I have the GMT hand set to Singapore time, which is the last place we visited together. And I have lyrics to what was going to be our wedding song engraved on the back, "However Far Away" which is fitting in so many respects now.

I've flipped a lot of watches especially in the recent 6-12 months, but this one will never leave my watch box.
Wow, how touching. I've been married to my best friend for over 33 years now and couldn't imagine a day without her. I hope I go first.
I just got this one a few weeks ago myself, Tag Heuer Aquaracer.
I hope you find someone a sentimental as you are, good luck.
Tray
IMG_1272.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

301 - 320 of 320 Posts