Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I want some tips and mods for crossing and wading through water I do not want to install a snorkel cause I'm not taking my Jeep through water so deep I would need a snorkel.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
A bypass for the fan. Air intake thru the firewall into the fresh air intake. DRIVE SLOWLY. Make sure the dif/transfer/tranny vents are intact and working.

We all plan on staying shallow but it just takes one hole/dip to drop the intake into the water.

·
Registered
514 Posts
take all the vents dif tranny transfer and run them up high.. they sell manifolds to make them right. . just remember that your jeep is a plow its square if you push too fast the water will wave over your motor.. make sure your grease is full in u joints... watch the rocks in water they will slice your tires like butter crazy how sharp some of them our.. i would put a snatch strap on the front recovery point and tie it off somewhere so you can get to it quick if you can get in trouble such as the jeep floating downstream..

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Construct a tarp that you can fasten to the grill that covers it completely. Snap on, velcro, or duct tape. Doesnt have to seal it, just cover all openings.

When you begin to cross, dont charge in. But do keep just enough speed that you push a slight "bow wave" that creates a void of lower water behind the grille. Your clutch fan will allow enough slip not to damage things but will fling water around so a big ziplock bag over the distributor helps.

You can take the intake elbow off the filter housing and point it straight back to gain 8 inches or so of safety margin, too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will move the air intake I would like to get an electric fan also and the main reason I don't want to run a snorkel is because I fold my window down alot plus I'm not going to take my Jeep any where I wouldn't take my 400ex when it comes to water.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I would like to get an electric fan also .
Dont

Electric fans are inferior to a factory clutch fan. Just to turn it off for water crossing is not enough justification to sacrifice cooling capacity and reliability.

·
Registered
514 Posts
you ever look into a hummer style snorkel it mounts low on the cowl and if done low enough i image the window would still go down..

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
you ever look into a hummer style snorkel it mounts low on the cowl and if done low enough i image the window would still go down..
as stated in another thread by someone I agree with, those look like your making a pizza under the hood and like I said they seem like they would be an obstruction on the drivers side where your original intake is and doesn't seem like it would be very "cold" by the time it travels from the passenger side. 'Just a thought, somebody correct me if I am wrong though'

·
Sponsoring Vendor
'13 JK
4,689 Posts
Make sure you and everyone inside can swim.

You would be surprised how many people drown when they fall out of a boat or end up in a lake / canal / river by mistake.

If your vehicle turns over in the water (how many videos have you see of that?) that would be life threatening right there.

Here in Florida, there's water everywhere, so we're very conscience of trying to get everyone swimming. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts