Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!! Planning to have some offroad with water crossing. I know about the 30 inch recommendation for stock JK's. Is it truely safe??? And will like to know how capable are the doors to not let water come in. Thank you all!!

·
No Whining now....
229 Posts
Can't really say what the limit is for stock jeep. Make sure the water is not moving too much as even a little water moving fast has incredible power to push you. Also, if you have Rubicon, the swaybar disconnect sits right behind the front bumper and is susceptible to water damage. Good luck! No whining now...

·
Super Moderator
15,727 Posts
Just keep your speed down.

I would recommend removing the carpet beforehand, that way if you do take on water you can just pull the drain plugs. Will also make clean up of any mud easier.

Here's me & the wife's Jeeps crossing some water on our last trek. To give you an idea of depth her tan Jeep is on 37s and mines on 40s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't really say what the limit is for stock jeep. Make sure the water is not moving too much as even a little water moving fast has incredible power to push you. Also, if you have Rubicon, the swaybar disconnect sits right behind the front bumper and is susceptible to water damage. Good luck! No whining now...
Well, i do have both a Rubicon and a Sport, and didn't imagine sway bar system could be damaged because of water. Thanks for advice!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just keep your speed down.

I would recommend removing the carpet beforehand, that way if you do take on water you can just pull the drain plugs. Will also make clean up of any mud easier.

Here's me & the wife's Jeeps crossing
some water on our last trek. To give you an idea of depth her tan Jeep is on 37s and mines on 40s.

Wow, that was quite deep! But hey, i don't want water inside my jeep, that's for sure!!! Heehee!!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Planning to have some offroad with water crossing. I know about the 30 inch recommendation for stock JK's. Is it truely safe??? And will like to know how capable are the doors to not let water come in
If the water level reaches (splashes) the door sill water will likely enter. One recommendation is to extend the axle breather hoses to reduce the chance of water entering and causing problems.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Well, i do have both a Rubicon and a Sport, and didn't imagine sway bar system could be damaged because of water. Thanks for advice!!!
My swaybar system got water in it with out any water crossings. Just rain and car washes. They are a great idea, but poor design.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Planning to have some offroad with water crossing. I know about the 30 inch recommendation for stock JK's. Is it truely safe??? And will like to know how capable are the doors to not let water come in
If the water level reaches (splashes) the door sill water will likely enter. One recommendation is to extend the axle breather hoses to reduce the chance of water entering and causing problems.
thank you!!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts

Reactions: Bobnh

·
Registered
417 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. My town's prone to flooding all the time, and being in the telecom industry I have to get to places that occasionally require traversing through those impacted areas. When I was stock a few years ago, I traversed a flooded area with water almost up to the hood without issue. Recently I've had water to the upper portion of my grill without any issues. Door seals were fine and no water got in. Differential maintenance doesn't show any signs of water getting in either.

If it's muddy, make sure you give it a good thorough rinsing afterwards. If it's a river or creek crossing just take a moment to be aware of the depth of what you're traversing through, any obstacles in the path, and take into consideration the speed that water is moving through the area. Don't hit the water at a high speed, go slow, and for slow or stagnant water, follow your initial wake. If it seems unsafe, just don't do it.

Reactions: aggrex and WaltA

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
My swaybar system got water in it with out any water crossings. Just rain and car washes. They are a great idea, but poor design.
I had a Sahara and now have a Sport. Between them was a Power Wagon ----- the swaybar disco got wet, shorted a bit, and the TIPM wouldn't let it go out of 4WD. Sucked for about an hour.

The swaybar control box is a good thing to dab a little goo around and waterproof.

Also look for splooge inside your diffs afterward. Despite your best effort, the gear oil gets contaminated usually.

We have lots of fords around here.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts