Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a list of must do's. To bullet proof a jk for deep water crossings.

-Breather extension ( diffs, transfer case for Manuel's / + tranny for auto)
-Snorkel
-?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Duct tape the door seams from the outside and jump through a rolled down window. :dance:

Depending on how deep you'll be venturing, I'd personally think about how to keep the electric fan from spinning. (Don't have the answer to that one.)

·
Registered
176 Posts
How deep are you planning to go? If you're worried about water getting into your air intake then you'd probably want to do something about water wrecking any electronics. Also water getting inside space between door and body.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just changed the diff fluid after going through water a little deeper than the above pics. No water in the front diff, but there was some in the rear. Next mood for me, extend breather tubes and use hose clamps.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 3 inch lift ad 35s on. Extended breathers to base of roll bar at the back of the tub (inside). And then the transfer and front diff to right behind the brake cylinder thing under the hood. But I'm Gunna get a snorkel. And run the breathes Into the box. I'm more worried about electronics. And why would you need to turn your fan off. So it doesn't eff the fan moter? My programmer allows me to turn it off. I want to basicly bullet proof my jeep. I got skids and armor an I'm going to Linex the exterior and interior when I got the cash. I'm building it to last forever and get anywhere kind of idea. So how do I seal the electronics that I gotta seal ect.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yes, so it doesn't burn out the motor. Take a house fan and submerge it halfway in a bathtub of water. Turn it on and watch it fight to spin (and burn itself out).

·
Registered
518 Posts
Like windshield deep.
:eek:

Good lord your Jeep would have trouble even getting traction in that deep of water. Air in tires is buoyant. Air inside sealed cab is buoyant.

The Jeep won't "float" per se, but it'll start having troubles getting traction.

·
Registered
858 Posts
:eek:

Good lord your Jeep would have trouble even getting traction in that deep of water. Air in tires is buoyant. Air inside sealed cab is buoyant.

The Jeep won't "float" per se, but it'll start having troubles getting traction.
Windshield deep will ruin a non marine-grade HU for sure, likely mess with the AC controls, probably mess with the instrument panel/speedo gauges, clockspring, etc.

If the OP wants to drive through really deep water, picking up a used H1 might be the way to go

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
The JK is not waterproofable. There are too many electronic components. Even if you can save the motor (snorkel) and the drivetrain (breathers) you can't do anything with the electronics. Jeep didn't silicone inject all the boards so you are going to fry all the boards, which will total the jeep. Windshield deep is something for older vehicles that are not computerized. Chrysler put computer modules in pretty bad places. If you are VERY careful, and know what you are doing, you can probably go hood deep, but even that's a stretch. I generally avoid anything that's more than tire deep.

·
Retired Moderator
100,556 Posts
I have a sales Wrangler Brochure for the 2013s. It states that they are designed to handle safely 30 inches of water. It shows a picture of a Wrangler driving in 30 inches of water.
This Brochure is from Chrysler/Jeep.:D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts