Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, i am a new user and am seeking some advice regarding my 2010 wrangler sport unlimited. During hurricane sandy i thought it was a good idea to store my jeep in my warehouse since my house is located in a flood zone and has many trees. I was wrong my house was fine but the warehouse had 32 inches of water in it. What problems if any am i looking at. The water was a mix of salt water and fresh water. The water was present between 1 and 3 hours. The insurance deemed it a total loss, but i want to buy it back from them. There was a lot of work done to it. Also it has a 3.5" lift and 35" tires.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
32" of water isn't much to a JK even with 35" tires on it. I'd be more worried about the salt water. I live in Naples, FL right on the coast and use my jeep to launch my jet ski. I methodically wash and rinse any area that touched the salt water asap as well as wash down the whole jeep. Before I had my JK I used a family memebers ranger pickup and you should have seen what the salt water did to the back end of that truck!

I would do the following and I'm sure you'll get more thoughts too.

Change ALL the fluids in your Jeep including the diffs

Wash everything you can reach down with soap and water a few times, including climbing up under the jeep and getting to the brake lines, gas vent line, just everything. Maybe do this with the jeep all the way up on 4 jack stands if you cant get to a lift.

Pull the carpets and toss them. The salt will remain in the fibers suprisingly. Its an inexpensive thing to replace, or bedline the interior tub.

Replace the battery and clean the cables really well.

Salt water is a PINA but managable if you get it off early.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Would it not start after the storm? Either it was way more than 32” of water, or....... yeah, I don’t know. I have the same size tires and lift, and have driven through 32” deep water crossings.......

If they are just assuming it’s totaled, as I’m sure they are writing off a lot of vehicles as “flood damage” then absolutely buy it back, run it through a carwash with undercarriage washing about 5 times, and score it as a win.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
8 year old thread with only 1 post from the OP.
I wonder what he ended up doing.

Even though the thread is old, sort of topical this week.
I am in South East Pennsylvania, we just had the remnants of Hurricane Isaias roll through this week. Over 7 inches of rain reported with lots of flooding.
I think the news reported 13000 cars damages within the tristate area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts