Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it rains hard and you go to exit the driver side seems like a water falls pours down that side. Why is this and is there anything that can be done about it?

·
Registered
832 Posts
When it rains hard and you go to exit the driver side seems like a water falls pours down that side. Why is this and is there anything that can be done about it?
I think that's part of the Jeep experience - way better than my 82 CJ softop was! :)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
i have the qtec floor mats so it just drizzles into the mat and dries later.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think that's part of the Jeep experience - way better than my 82 CJ softop was! :)
I was thinking the same thing, my old CJ7 was as good as a bath.

The only fix I found was parking on a good slope sideways or hauling along a corn fed buddy.;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I am glad to hear I am not the only one that this happens too. Sad there is no fix.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well I am glad to hear I am not the only one that this happens too. Sad there is no fix.
It's kinda a complicated rubber connection there. Other that a new top, there is no adjustment. Maybe strategic dabs of rubber cement lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have my son get in the passenger side first that usually gets the water headed that way.
Seriously, I do try to put the passenger side on the low side of the driveway when rain is expected. I don't know of a fix so I show up with wet legs when it rains.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yes, there are things one can do to alleviate this annoyance.

Park in such a way as the front is higher than the back.

Park in such a way as the driver's side is higher than the passenger side. If you have a passenger who will also be exiting the Jeep you may, or may not (depending on your relationship with this person), choose to park with the passenger side elevated.

After parking, but immediately prior to opening the door, press upwards with the back of your hand on the top near the roll bar.

When parking, apply the brakes a bit more, and more quickly, than necessary to stop the Jeep but allow the water to retain its forward momentum.

When opening the door, pull the latch and then push the door open without your arm following it out. After the ever so brief waterfall has done its dastardly thing, you can then safely exit the vehicle without fear.

These various methods have worked well for me over the years depending on the specific situation.

If these methods (and others you may read about in this thread) do not resolve the issue for you, you may wish to make an appointment for some professional help with your fear of dampness.

In your post you stated, "When it rains hard and you go to exit..."; but, in such a case you will be getting wet after you exit anyway. Rain is wet.

That should answer the second part of your question. As to the first part - gravity is to blame.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Yeah, it's hard to put rain gutters on a soft top. But, the JKU is one of the few vehicles that still have rain gutters. Any vehicle without rain gutters has this problem.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Park with the driver front wheel on the hood of a Prius. That should give enough angle to drain the roof pond. :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's just the nature of the beast for a soft top Jeep in the rain. When I know it's going to rain I pull nose first in the driveway since it's on a slight hill. Also prevents pooling on the back half of the Trektop.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Yes, there are things one can do to alleviate this annoyance. Park in such a way as the front is higher than the back. Park in such a way as the driver's side is higher than the passenger side. If you have a passenger who will also be exiting the Jeep you may, or may not (depending on your relationship with this person), choose to park with the passenger side elevated. After parking, but immediately prior to opening the door, press upwards with the back of your hand on the top near the roll bar. When parking, apply the brakes a bit more, and more quickly, than necessary to stop the Jeep but allow the water to retain its forward momentum. When opening the door, pull the latch and then push the door open without your arm following it out. After the ever so brief waterfall has done its dastardly thing, you can then safely exit the vehicle without fear. These various methods have worked well for me over the years depending on the specific situation. If these methods (and others you may read about in this thread) do not resolve the issue for you, you may wish to make an appointment for some professional help with your fear of dampness. In your post you stated, "When it rains hard and you go to exit..."; but, in such a case you will be getting wet after you exit anyway. Rain is wet. That should answer the second part of your question. As to the first part - gravity is to blame.
All good tips. Wonder why they don't put these tips in the owner's manual? Feel sorry for people trying to turn what is essentially weekend toy into a DD. Can you imagine trying to make 3-4 sales calls on a rainy day wearing a Brooks Brothers? "Can't park here, the slope is wrong". What if you're going to a wedding, or an interview? Maybe not a problem if you're a shorts and flip flops type or jeans and Stetson but that's not everyone. Rain is wet? Professional help for fear of dampness? Really?

·
Registered
898 Posts
All good tips. Wonder why they don't put these tips in the owner's manual? Feel sorry for people trying to turn what is essentially weekend toy into a DD. Can you imagine trying to make 3-4 sales calls on a rainy day wearing a Brooks Brothers? "Can't park here, the slope is wrong". What if you're going to a wedding, or an interview? Maybe not a problem if you're a shorts and flip flops type or jeans and Stetson but that's not everyone. Rain is wet? Professional help for fear of dampness? Really?
Really?, there are people that make 3-4 sales calls in a Jeep Wrangler while wearing a Brooks Brothers suit even on very rainy days?

I suppose then that I should anticipate future posts such as "When I exit my Wrangler I get water/mud/slush/muck on the back of the left pants leg of my Fitzgerald Fit Saxxon Wool Multipane Three-Piece Suit! Why is this? I never had this problem in my Audi TT!"

There are a number of things one can do to help avoid the soft top waterfall in the event one's umbrella-bearing chauffeur happens to have the day off. Common sense can usually solve such minor issues as this undignified cascade of water from the soft top, choosing a vehicle that meets one's needs, or even dressing according to the weather.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Really?, there are people that make 3-4 sales calls in a Jeep Wrangler while wearing a Brooks Brothers suit even on very rainy days? I suppose then that I should anticipate future posts such as "When I exit my Wrangler I get water/mud/slush/muck on the back of the left pants leg of my Fitzgerald Fit Saxxon Wool Multipane Three-Piece Suit! Why is this? I never had this problem in my Audi TT!" There are a number of things one can do to help avoid the soft top waterfall in the event one's umbrella-bearing chauffeur happens to have the day off. Common sense can usually solve such minor issues as this undignified cascade of water from the soft top, choosing a vehicle that meets one's needs, or even dressing according to the weather.
Chill Brother. I agree with almost everything you've said and I do appreciate your tips but I see lots of post here where people ask about/or ARE using a JK as a daily driver. That's Sunday through Saturday. That's to church, work, to the baby sitter, to the grocery store, and yes, on sales calls. Everywhere you go.

Retired now, my JKU is a toy. I was a suit and tie guy for my entire career. White shirt, red tie, you know the look. No matter the weather. No casual days. Thank goodness for WF and others where one can uncover these things before making the purchase decision. I would be heartsick if I had spent $40k+ on a new cool vehicle that poured water down my suit pants leg as I was arriving to call on a VP of finance or to make a presentation to the board.

Folks need this information in order to choose the vehicle that meets their needs. Wranglers are not the perfect vehicle for everyone.

BTW, My umbrella-bearing chauffeur drives his Audi TT during the week and wheels a wicked lifted Rubi on the weekend. :)

PEACE

·
Registered
898 Posts
Chill Brother. I agree with almost everything you've said and I do appreciate your tips but I see lots of post here where people ask about/or ARE using a JK as a daily driver. That's Sunday through Saturday. That's to church, work, to the baby sitter, to the grocery store, and yes, on sales calls. Everywhere you go.

Retired now, my JKU is a toy. I was a suit and tie guy for my entire career. White shirt, red tie, you know the look. No matter the weather. No casual days. Thank goodness for WF and others where one can uncover these things before making the purchase decision. I would be heartsick if I had spent $40k+ on a new cool vehicle that poured water down my suit pants leg as I was arriving to call on a VP of finance or to make a presentation to the board.

Folks need this information in order to choose the vehicle that meets their needs. Wranglers are not the perfect vehicle for everyone.

BTW, My umbrella-bearing chauffeur drives his Audi TT during the week and wheels a wicked lifted Rubi on the weekend. :)

PEACE
I am chilled (I am always chilled), but some days I seem to veer onto an uncontrollable, semi-sarcastic tangent while attempting to contribute a few helpful tips; no offence meant.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,165 Posts
I might recommend the Skid Row Top Prop...basically keeps the top bowed up to allow the water to drain off and not create a puddle.
Unfortunately the nature of the beast is such that no matter what, we will always get slightly dirty, wet, or enter/exit our Jeep less one belt loop.

-Chris

Morris 4x4 Center - Skid Row Offroad

·
Registered
583 Posts
Solved...

Simple...
Look at Jeep determine which side is higher, you usually can see the top either from underneath or above...

Figure out which side is lower open other side (high Side) reach in and push up on roof water runs to other side and runs off...

Slap upwards using fist into roof material (Soft Roof-Top ONLY).

Then calmly and like everyone is watching you...
(They are, You are a Bad Ass in a Jeep Maxed out Bro.)
walk around to other side...

Grab your Grab Handle and step up and into Your Beast of a Ride firmly shutting your door...

Then give the Jeep wave to al your new admirers and head out leaving them all to eat your Dust...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts