Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just cleaning out the JK today and I lifted up the rear floor where my sub and jack storage area is and.....found it full of water. Totally puzzled....never had a wet floor in the back....no clue where the water came from. Jack and accessories are all rusted to :censored:

Anyone see this before???

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
There was a thread about this recently. People have had issues with the seal above the rear window. Dry it all off and see next time it rains if it leaks.

·
Registered
655 Posts
The other thing is mine gets a lot of condensation on the inside of the hard top which then has a habit of dripping in the back

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't had that problem. Everything is completely dry except that storage tray. There was 3" of water in there and it's been there a while judging by how rusted the jack is.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I pull the all of plugs out and leave them out as well.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I used to leave all of my plugs out, until one day I went thru a big mud bog, and filled the inside with sloshing muddy water! The water wasn't such a big deal, but it got my shoes wet!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought a 15 sahara and found water in mine too. I pulled the plug and drained it all out. Seems like I caught it early since none if it was rusty. We got a good amount of rain this weekend. I will check again tomorrow

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
That much water in there has to be a rear tailgate gasket leak. I had water in mine and it was caused by wayward cargo deforming the seal during a rain storm.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Once I went through a creek and the bank was steep enough that climbing out the ass-end was under water and filled my jack compartment with water.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Same issue here in my 13 JKU. Haven't found any water in it but the forward compartment was wet. My jack and tools are rusted to hell and had to cut the leatherette off the tools to get them out (only to find the tire iron head is too large for the aftermarket wheels that came with the Jeep). Sigh. I think I'll be taking a vent cleaning tool to the inside of that space to get all the rust and crap off the surfaces, then spraying it down with rubberized undercoating to try and keep it from rusting any worse. This particular JKU has never been offroad (previous owner just wanted a mall crawler, as evidenced by the abundance of chrome bits) and never had a hard top, so I'm at something of a loss to explain how it got this way.

O_E

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 2012 and looked yesterday and found about 1" of water. I will be removing the plugs. I also have water on the passenger floor. The dealer is ordering a new door seal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found 3 inches of standing water in my jack compartment as well. My jack is severely rusted but still may be serviceable I'll see tomorrow when its completely dry. I was able to clean the tire change rods and such. I cleaned the vinyl case although I'm not sure if the musty smell will be gone when it dries. I'm so angry about the whole thing. My Jeep has never been off road or abused. This is my second JK and I didn't invest close to 40K to be annoyed with dumb things like this.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I have found my jack compartment filled with water in the past. I keep the drain plug out and I lubed the jack to prevent it from rusting any further.

·
Registered
10 Posts
so I bought mine used about 3 months ago...
getting ready for a short excursion and was going over a couple of check list items...
found the OEM lug wrench didn't fit the aftermarket wheels and lugs. Also found the lugs that are holding the spare on the swing out tire carrier are different size altogether.

The relevant part to this thread is that the OEM tire tools and jack had obviously been wet. They were rusted to sh!t. Ultimately I've replace the OEM tire tools, with tools that fit and sh!t canned the jack for a rear mounted hi lift.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have the same problem. I just check after a few rain storms, drain and keep the jack WD40'd.

My top does not leak and I am good with that.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Pulled the drain plug in mine first time it rained after I bought it. It now just sits in there beside the jack and tools. Fwiw mine are still looking ok after a year and a half with softtop on all last summer and for the last month. You could always add that to the numerous uses of fluid film though...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts