Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went in too deep of water. And now it makes a loud HISSING noise. And some times it wont shift into the next gear. And it also slips. Has anyone ever had this problem? What has to be done to fix it for good?

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
You're going to have to change your fluid, maybe more then once. Just keep checking it until it's not milky. I used a higher octane gas a couple of times too.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
x2

change your tranny fluid 2 times ore more often until it looks like oil and not like milk. run the tranny through all geras after changing the oil every time like it´s written in the FSM.

and DON´t drive too much with this watered oil in the tranny.
that can damage the tranny and that can become very expensive.

that´s why i always have 10L tranny fluid and 5L axle fluid with me when i´m wheeling. driving 100 mls home would damage the tranny.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Earlier today i changed the fluid twice. It still made the noise...Although the advanced autoparts store told me to only put 1 gallon of fluid in. It turns out i needed a little more than 2gallons in it. All the noises went away so far. but still drives a little funny.

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
You can extend your transmission vent line up higher on the truck. I think that someone here did a writeup on exactly how to do it, but am not sure where it is.

·
Administrator
12,606 Posts
auto or 5spd? If auto did you drop the pan as there might be crap sitting in it. get a new filter as well. If 5spd flush it a 3rd or maybe even 4th time. Lot cheaper to keep doing that than a new tranny.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The auto trannies are alot easier to damage with water. Your best bet is goin to be to raisse your vent line as high as possible...and make sure the seals on your pan and dipstick are air tight. With an auto i would try my damnest not to go in above the tranny....its just too much of a problem if water does get in it. Driving any at all is bad with water in an auto. Tranny fluid soaks up water. Only thing you can do is stop when it happens and drain it repeatedily until you have no more traces of water. Filter of course as well. You can also pull your return line coming from your tranny cooler and turn it over....*i didnt say crank it and let it run* to drain the torque converter and cooler lines. IT helps to speed draining the system. Guys with the 5 speeds like me have it easy. Water..no problem....drain it..flush it.....fill it up again...then back in the water we go. Same goes with the tcase and diffs. You can try to prevent water from gettin into your auto....but heat and water = dead auto in most cases. Unless you catch it as soon as it happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts