Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have started a new thread as my hunt for the source of the water in my TJ has moved on, I think I found the ingress point finally but not the source.

Basically I have had months of rain in my foot wells, mainly on the driver side, I replaced the door seals, and the hard top roof seals.

In the photos you can see the rust where the water runs behind the plastic dash panel, where it then runs around the frame and down to the floor (I broke some of the filler/putty off in the pic to trace the water), but most importantly you can see the water marks appearing from that seam, it appears to enter through the rubber windshield cowl seal in the door jam. I am going to fold the windshield down and investigate as soon as I can but the weather and day light won’t permit me for some time.

Any ideas the origins of that water, it doesn’t seem to come in anywhere else.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Found this in the past, and it is a MUST have for any Wrangler owner:
http://bit.ly/JK_Leak_Diag
(I labeled it this, not sure if it's JK specific or not.)

It opens/saves an invaluable PDF.

Reactions: Jeep225

·
Premium Member
8,357 Posts
Hex - your comments say drivers side, but the photos are of the passenger side. Is this a hardtop or soft top? More specifics about the TJ would help immensely. Different year ranges can have different issues. The windshield/cowl seal is always a suspect. Another is the windshield header seal (that's an expensive one, I know since I replaced mine 18 months ago). Another area is the door seal, as they do go bad over time. When I had mine painted professionally 18 months ago it was partially disassembled and all seals except the windshield/cowl seal were replace.

Another location if you have the soft top is where the door surround meets the windshield frame. There is another thread about leaks in which one member has leaks there on both sides.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply’s guys and for the link CTarna I will check that out, seems to cover the later models but may be useful as there are lots of similarities.

Thanks rgreen65 I will give a little more info.
you’re right it is “passenger side” leaking but very rarely the driver side, however its not a US vehicle!, I forgot to mention it’s a uk model and in the uk, it’s also a hardtop but was bought a soft top from factory and before me was converted to hardtop.

I have replaced the door seals and they seem to be doing there job, I have added rubber foam to the hardtop and windshield join and that is also shedding water fine, the issue is the leak in the picture. When I had chance to do a lot of water tests with buckets and hoes in that area it seems to just be located there and runs down under the door onto the floor.
The rust on the bolt hole in the pic with the plastic dash pulled forward shows it’s entry and then it runs between two panels that form the doors lip/edge and finally drips to the floor.

It’s driving me mad I just can’t stop it at the moment, I have even filled the rubber seal in the door jam (I think it’s the cowl seal) with silicon as I though the water was getting in there, but it must be making its way in near there and running down inside the body in front of the door and emerging in the picture from under that colour coded seal/tape which I imagine is factory fitted to close the meeting of two or more metal panels?, is that it’s function and if so where could the water enter if that’s it’s exit, where would a void under that colour coded tape lead?.

Thanks for the help, suffering through a very wet uk winter with no garage so it’s not as easy as just garaging it or dismantling to inspect in the dry.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Check the drain in the front cowl. Many will get clogged and the overflow goes right into the passenger floor. Had that problem with mine and just fished a wire from the engine compartment where it drains to avoid having to take anything apart.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks sir fisher I found the air filter leaks on line when I first started getting issues and assumed it wasn’t my issue, but the more I think about it the more I need to check it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts