Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped off my 2011 Sahara for water leak problems around the doors on Nov. 4th and have not heard a word from anyone? I called today the 15th of Nov. and the service guy that I deal with went home early today so a young girl at the service dept. told me that they were waiting for the factory to contact them? I told her that I would call back on friday when I could talk to him. Is this normal with these jeeps with water leaks to just take them with 8,000 miles on them back to the dealer cause the floors are wet and here nothing after near 2 weeks? If I have read right this problem stems back to 2007? and jeep has not come with a solution yet? I wish I had knowen of this before spending $30,000.00. I would like to hear some comments from people that has been through this and maybe I can get some insite on what I can do to get my jeep back. Thanks in advance:confused:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I was pissed when mine took 2 days. I would have been calling every hour after the 3rd day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2000 Sahara developed leaks after a couple years, Just traded it 5 days ago for a 2013 Sport and I already have wet floor on driver side:zap:.
This is nothing new , but really, you like to have a new vehicle a little while before the problems start. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Birdy, does your sport have a soft top or hard top? Full Doors or half? Just curious. I have a 2013 4dr Rubicon with a Full Doors and a 3 piece hard top. So far, no leaks. We drove it when Hurricane Sandy was pounding Maryland. I am hoping that if it can make it through that kind of rain without leaking, that it will stand the test of time.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My 2013 has been in and out of the dealership for longer than 30 days for a water leak since September. I am picking her up tomorrow night and I will do a water leak test on Saturday. I am also hoping for a nice soaking rain some time soon to see if it still leaks after the repair.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: I called the dealer today and talked to the service dept. They have replaced just about all the gaskets with new ones and still it leaks.He said that the tech took photo's and sent the photo's with a 2 page letter of what he has done and replaced to jeep on the 13th (tues. of this week) and are waiing for a reply on what to do next! This is really kinda hard to believe in todays world of auto's that they have had such a problem for this amount of years and can not fix it! I am not to sure how the doors leak like they do as I have to open a window just to close the doors it is so air tight, so how do they leak like this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hear what you say about the doors, it's hard to believe any water could get
in, but it does. I know it only takes the tiniest imperfection to let water through.
My wifes 2004 Volve developed a leak from the moon roof drain. The foot wells are about 8-10" deep and filled with foam with all kinds of cables wires etc running under the carpet. I drained out over 2 gallons of water out. Had to pull out all the seats carpet etc to dry it out. The foam under the carpet was like a giant sponge. It took weeks to dry out.
Please let us know what happens with your Jeep. Mine is a 3pc Freedom hardtop with full doors. I downloaded the official "Leak Guide" and will try to narrow down where my leak is coming from, but will see that it gets fixed one way or the other. $30k for a brand new vehicle that leaks is unacceptable Jeep or not--Best of luck:thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I took mine in the other day for an oil change and had them look at my soft top for leaks, they told me that there is a tech bulletin out to replace the foam around the soft top. They have the foam on order for me and are supposed to call as soon as it gets in, hopefully it works because i'm sick of getting wet while driving in the rain and then getting soaked everytime i get in and out of my Jeep when it's wet.

Also I'm sick of hearing "oh it's a Jeep, you should expect it, blah blah blah" I think that is stupid, i didn't pay almost $30k to get wet while driving. I use my Jeep for what is was meant for, it goes off road, it gets dirty, but i will complain about the build quality when there is something wrong. I haven't seen to many people with the "It's a Jeep get over it" attitude on this site, it's a lot worse on others.

·
Registered
141 Posts
All this water leak talk has me worried about mine. I got a JK 13' with a soft top. It rained once since I've had it, but it was barely rain so I guess i'll just have to wait and see. Does anybody know how many Jeeps are affected by this? Is it a small percentage to those unlucky few?

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Who Knows

All this water leak talk has me worried about mine. I got a JK 13' with a soft top. It rained once since I've had it, but it was barely rain so I guess i'll just have to wait and see. Does anybody know how many Jeeps are affected by this? Is it a small percentage to those unlucky few?
I've got a hard top and don't have the leak problem. I think it is like anything else, you always hear the bad stuff, but rarely hear the good. So, I can't tell you how wide spread the problem is, except to say that it is a big enough problem that jeep has issued several tech bulletins about it. So, if your jeep starts leaking, while it is under warranty, take it in and have it fixed. If the problem continues, document it, and check the lemon laws in your state, and use them if you have to.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
To be clear . . . .

You have four removable doors with adjustable hinges. You have a folding windshield. You have a body that accepts two entirely different factory tops, each of which must by design be easily removable and non-mechanized. The size of the top on the 4 door is enormous. And the hardtop has two removable panels that must by design be easily and quickly removable by anybody. The soft tops must fit with both full doors and half doors. All windows in the soft tops must be fully removable.

And it's all got to be at a non-luxury price point.

None of that "justifies" leaks, but it does suggest you re-adjust your expectations. Nobody else on the market makes such a vehicle, and there's probably a reason for that.

All jeeps will eventually leak. Yours is doing it pretty early, but they'll all get there eventually.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Leak

I just purchased a 2013 jeep wrangler sport and noticed that there was a lot of water on the passenger side floor when I got home...took two weeks to dry...I am thinking that some dope at he dealer left the window open as I have yet to drive it the rain...will keep monitoring it...

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
To be clear . . . .

None of that "justifies" leaks, but it does suggest you re-adjust your expectations. Nobody else on the market makes such a vehicle, and there's probably a reason for that.

All jeeps will eventually leak. Yours is doing it pretty early, but they'll all get there eventually.
Very well said!!Ummmm,JK'S first production 2007,Selling 2013's still leaking!! WTF,Well,well,They did add leather.:thumb:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
dale 3 said:
Very well said!!Ummmm,JK'S first production 2007,Selling 2013's still leaking!! WTF,Well,well,They did add leather.:thumb:
Right, but part of my point is that there are many variables that can turn a perfectly manufactured jeep into a monster leaker.

Door hinges for example. They're adjustable, and if they're not set right for the top, it'll leak. Windshield not torqued down right? It'll leak. Sales guys bent some frame parts or warped some of the seals while incompetently trying to demonstrate for another customer how "easy" the tops are? It'll leak. Etc.

These issues can be fixed of course. But again--it's about realistic expectations and being familiar with what you're buying.

Folks that seem surprised by these possibilities have not, IMO, done enough to familiarize themselves with what they're buying before they got it.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Right, but part of my point is that there are many variables that can turn a perfectly manufactured jeep into a monster leaker.

Door hinges for example. They're adjustable, and if they're not set right for the top, it'll leak. Windshield not torqued down right? It'll leak. Sales guys bent some frame parts or warped some of the seals while incompetently trying to demonstrate for another customer how "easy" the tops are? It'll leak. Etc.

These issues can be fixed of course. But again--it's about realistic expectations and being familiar with what you're buying.

Folks that seem surprised by these possibilities have not, IMO, done enough to familiarize themselves with what they're buying before they got it.
But all new JKs are put together on the same assembly line; in theory all body parts should be getting the same adjustments. Removing and replacing the doors doesn't normally require the hinges to be adjusted either.

I do believe a realistic expectation is that a new JK off the lot shouldn't leak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a ignorant question and not to insult anyones intelligence, but have ya all checked to see if the floor board plugs are in correctly?

·
Registered
793 Posts
We have / had 4 JK's.....2010 2 door, 2011 JKU, at present... a 2013 2 door, and a 2013 JKU. All soft tops and they all leak! From a little leak to a lot! It is pure BS that Jeep can not design it better...Pure BS! So...........we try to fix the bigger leaks to make them into little leaks, thats about all we can do...... that I know of.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Just a ignorant question and not to insult anyones intelligence, but have ya all checked to see if the floor board plugs are in correctly?
It is 100% leaking at the top of the doors.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts