Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I know there are a ton of postings about Jeep water leaks and I have looked for days but can not find anything about my particular leak and hoping someone has seen this before.

The leak I have is coming from my 2007 Wrangler JK from the front passenger side where the Window and the door and the A Pillar all attach. In the first photo there is a red arrow pointing to the source of the leak. It is some kind of plug or patch or something and this is where the water is leaking from. The water leaks from this spot then travels down the inside lip of the vehicle body that contacts the door. Second picture shows blue line to indicate water path from this white plug or seal indicated by the red arrow.

Does anyone know what this plug/seal is and how I can stop the leak?

IMG_2238.jpg IMG_2251.jpg

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I have the same leak and have not found a good way to mitigate. I tried running a bead of rubber weather stripping down the jamb but it didnt really do much.
I got fed up with the stinky carpets so just pulled the carpet out and replaced with set of bedrugs in the front. no more stinky carpets, which is what I was most concerned with.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Watch this dude's video. I wonder if this will work for you. I've done this on my 17 as I had the floor leak. I *think* it's solved it. And you will likely need TWO rolls of the stuff to do both doors. I did.
https://youtu.be/ELWi4r0JIDY

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My leak is coming from the inside of the door jamb channel, not the outside where the door is meeting the door jamb. My water leak is from that weird seal I posted in the first picture and is travelling inside the cabin.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
My leak is coming from the inside of the door jamb channel, not the outside where the door is meeting the door jamb. My water leak is from that weird seal I posted in the first picture and is travelling inside the cabin.
I think people have used butyl tape which is what the factory uses, it looks like it may wear down with use so may be a yearly maintenance to remain leak free.

One of my Jeeps leaks right there but on the drivers side, I bought the butyl roll but it came in silver (unlike the picture on amazon) and that would look hideous.. never got around to getting black. I've also removed the carpets and drain plugs and never looked back (with slush mats) it's as good as fixed to me.

If you insist on fixing, look at that seal really closely and there is a foam piece and butyl, they do get worn, make sure all overlaps are done properly so water does not go under. The foam on mine was well warn as well, my idea was to go thicker with the butyl to see if it stopped the leak....

good luck... now to order some black butyl... thanks for the reminder

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
But how is the water getting inside of the door jamb channel? I think that's where the the video linked above is getting at.

It's a bad design that FCA can't fix easily... my 16 the wife brought it back and they beefed up all the seals so much (replaced) now the doors need to be slammed if the windows are rolled up just to close.... still leaks....

If it makes you feel better it is marine grade carpet... but musty/mildew is no good of a smell.

I think the issue is right at the top of that seal in your bottom picture, where its discolored and brown as if the butyl tape slid down or doubled over... if that is not super sticky fresh and tight to the jam, creating the water barrier itself, it will leak past, under, and around....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts