Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I suspect my water pump is leaking and got a new pump. The new water pump came with a gasket, but it's all paper/cardboard. I read that the gasket is meant to go on dry, but it just doesn't seem right with an all paper gasket. Should I use some rtv or pick up a separate gasket with a silicon bead built in? Thanks in advance.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
A silicone bead gasket is good but paper works fine too. I had to cut a gasket out of a piece of cardboard from a MRE box for my thermostat housing while offroading a couple years ago when the thermostat failed and it was leak free for several weeks until I had the time to pick up a new thermostat and gasket. Surface prep is uber important with either, make sure the gasket seating surfaces are scrupulously clean which is the key to the cooling system being leak free. Afterall the factory doesn't use any RTV there either. :)

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The trick to installing a leak free water pump is to make sure the mating surfaces are completely clean and free of ALL old gasket material...they should be spotless. Any little spot of old gasket can cause a leak. The paper gasket will work fine as long as the prep work is done right.

About 60 seconds late...!;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it nice and clean. All back together. Going to take it for a test drive tomorrow and check for leaks. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drove the jeep for about 15 minutes tonight. It's raining here, but I don't see any visible drips or wetness around the waterpump.

I do however have a loud squeal coming from the drive belt. At first I thought it was wetness/antifreeze on the belt and pulleys from changing the pump. However it didn't go away for the entirety of the 15 minute ride. When I got back to my driveway, I lifted the hood and it sounds like it's coming from the alternator. While I was doing the water pump I figured I should do the tensioner and idler pulleys too. Is it possible the new tensioner caused the alternator bearing to shit the bed? When I turn it by hand it turns free and doesn't make any noise. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
At first I thought it was wetness/antifreeze on the belt and pulleys from changing the pump.
I have seen antifreeze contamination cause permanent belt squeal. And no amount of cleaning/drying makes a difference. Try pouring water on the belt while the engine is running. If the squeal goes away temporarily, a new belt might be in order.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm alright I'll get a new belt. It squealed like crazy on the way to work this morning. Not overheating and no visible sign of a leak. It really sounds like a bearing going bad somewhere. What's the likelihood that I got a bad idler or tensioner? I went with Goodyear for both.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, I'm considering putting the old tensioner and idler back on to rule those out as the source of the squeal. Would that make sense?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bought a new belt and installed it. No more squeal. No leaks from the water pump. Everything seems good. Thanks for all the input!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts