Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a small puddle of coolant under my Jeep yesterday so I did some looking. It seems the coolant is leaking from around the top and right side of the pump as far as I can tell? Is this a sign of gasket failure? From all I’ve read they leak from the weep hole underneath and mine doesn’t seem to be leaking from there as I can tell. I’ve tried looking and feeling up as far as I can under the pump as I can but can’t really see anything. I let the Jeep run lay night up to normal operating temp last night and this morning it is 32F temp and it’s leaked some again. I drove it around yesterday and checked when I parked to see if there was any leaking but everything was dry. Could the cold overnight let everything contract and coolant seep out? Jeep has roughly 72,000 miles on it and is a 2005. Thanks for any advice or ideas.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
It could be a gasket failure, the easiest way to tell is clean it up and pressure test the cooling system, and watch for the coolant to leak out. You'll know in short order where the leak is coming from. In all honesty with 72k miles on it I'd replace the water pump, even if it is coming from the water pump gasket.

Reactions: Gottagofast

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drove it to work this morning and checked under it before I left and there wasn’t a puddle like there was yesterday morning and no coolant where I had previously seen it on the side of the block at the pump gasket. The level in the radiator had dropped a little bit though. The Jeep isn’t blowing out white smoke and the oil level is fine with no bubbles and doesn’t looked like it’s mixed with water.
Is the Mightyvac MV4560 pressure tester a decent one to try?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
If the water pump had been replaced previously it sounds like the installer didn't get the gasket seating surfaces clean enough which will cause leaks over the gasket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the Jeep in 2007 with 32,000 miles on it and I have never had it off. Guess I’ll just have to keep watching it and see if it does it again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts