Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the water pump in my 93 YJ 4.0. The original water pump had 4 threaded screws that the fan and pulley mount to, but the new one doesn't. I am assuming I will need some PB Blaster or something like that and just pull them out, but I just want to make sure before I screw this little project up. Just worried that if I put the old screws in the new pump, they may not hold the fan as well. (Probably being paranoid) :hide:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
old ones will be fine but if you prefer,go to the hardware store and get some new studs or bolts..grade 5 at least but I always prefer grade 8 on most anything

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
old ones will be fine but if you prefer,go to the hardware store and get some new studs or bolts..grade 5 at least but I always prefer grade 8 on most anything
Much appreciated! If it wasn't the daily driver it wouldn't worry me as much :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
They are fine to reuse, just double nut them and back them out, mine came out easy, no PB blaster needed.

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
That's a quote from my dad, "Do you have grade 8's with lock washers? Do you even have plain washers? DON'T FORGET THE NEVER-SEIZE!!!!" :rofl:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The easy way to remove those studs is to double nut them.
just screw on two nuts and tighten them against each other (2 wrenches).
Then put a wrench on the inside nut and unscrew while holding the shaft.
In 40+ years that methoud has never failed me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts