Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone here testify to the ability of the new JK's (2011/12) to hold up if rained on? Specifically I was curious about the 730N Nav/Radio and other dash components.

I wonder if you get caught in the rain (good downpour) and the Nav goes out, would it be covered under warranty??? Anyone know or have personal experience with this?

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Don't get your dash wet. Electronics and water don't do well together. It's a jeep but the electronics are still vulnerable to moisture. If you get caught in the rain without your top and your NAV is wasted, that's not going to be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
It'll be interesting to hear any firsthand comments, though my inclination would be that ESP123 is correct.

A number of the jeepers driving TJs, YJs, and CJs have converted to "marine grade" audio equipment for this reason. As my Jeep ages and needs new electronics, I suspect that'll be the direction I go.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True although one would think that Jeep would try and offer components that can stand up to the environment they know their products will be used in. Naturally we don't want to get rained on but any of us could get caught in a quick rain or have it happen while we were stuck in a shopping mall. I would hope that Jeep takes this into account and have made some way of making the Nav water resistant (not water proof). Hopeful... I would hate to see $1900 down the tubes for getting caught in a downpour.

Marine grade components only go so far also... I have a couple of boats and all have marine audio components and only one of the radios is truly made for the water environment and will last if it gets soaked (Kenwood's marine iPod unit).

·
Registered
89 Posts
and while on this topic, i don't mean to hijac the thread at all, but if i get the interior really wet (like the seats for example) how long would it take to dry if i just leave it closed and locked out in the sun?

·
Registered
517 Posts
once the forecast was drizzle in the morning, needless to say it poured the whole day while I was at work. I left it closed overnight and it felt like a rainforest inside. next day left the windows down so it could dry. I would hate to smell mildew in my jeep.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
and while on this topic, i don't mean to hijac the thread at all, but if i get the interior really wet (like the seats for example) how long would it take to dry if i just leave it closed and locked out in the sun?
Don't leave it closed. Pull out the carpet, and open it up, leave it in the sun and they dry in an afternoon. The hose gets taken after ours periodically.... :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got rained (and hailed on) last night and today my headlights and turning signals...and windshield wipers are out. ARG. its a brand new 2011 wrangler sport. I could have cried ...!! so off to the dealer for an assessment ... more news to come

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Not sure if what I have been doing helps. I had cab covered in downpours though (Bikini top). After I get rained on, I put tarp on jeep, not tight and run vornado in it overnight, still smells new, and I hope preventing damage

·
Registered
187 Posts
One of the dealers when I was shopping around told me that all interior components were water resistant, and that the sub was in fact, marine grade (BS!).

I have heard on/off that the dash components are water resistant though, but nothing definitively.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts