Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen in a few post were people have said to drill the side mirror in order to stop the water from non stop running for hours after the jeep gets wet/washed. does this actually work and prevent the water from running down the side of the door and leaving water marks that dont like to come out?

if anybody has done this mod and it in fact works could you please show me were exactly you drilled the mirror to prevent this? i hate washing the jeep to only turn around and have water spots all over it from water dripping while i drive the jeep hours later from the side mirrors...

thanks all

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
yes, it works. water collects in the arm and slowly drips out. you'd be surprised how much water actually gets trapped in there.

drill here...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
groundhawg, thank you for posting this up! should i drill that second hole you have closer to the door or stay with just the hole you have the arrow on? what size bit did you end up using and what do you feel is the best size? i was thinking 1/4" myself..

having a black jeep is a pain already, but that darn water stain is defilently anoying and there is no way to stop it from what i have seen. almost makes me not want to wash the jeep alot of times.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I'm thinking I'm going to drill mine too. Looks smaller than 1/4 I'm thinking 1/8 also. Probably don't need much to get the water out in short order.

So, what about that second hole GroundHawg?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
that's a 1/8 hole. size doesn't matter as water will drain quickly. don't go 1/4 though. you may risk cracking the mirror case.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just drilled mine. i used a 1/4" bit and it seems tobe a perfect size. i was thinking too small of a hole and the water would still take awhile to drain. the 1/4" hole does not look too big once drilled in person and hopefully once it cools down abit i will be able to test it out.

i still would like to know about the second hole though. seems like it would not be needed since the water is still going to drain some onto the door of the jeep but it defilently could help it drain faster for sure.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's a 1/8 hole. size doesn't matter as water will drain quickly. don't go 1/4 though. you may risk cracking the mirror case.
:banghead: damn... well lucky for me i got some super sharp drill bits and i had no problems.

how about the second hole you drilled though? is that needed or no?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
give one a try. add more holes for a faster drain out.

try to get them close to the base. if you look at the mirror closely it has a slight angle to it. shoot for the low part near the door. the water runs down and fills that area first.

I didn't have this issue with my jeep, but I drilled my friend's up. I did 2 1/8" holes in each one. it doesn't even fill up any more. try just one and see if it drains quick enough. if not, add another nearby.

be careful. it's hollow inside, so don't fire the bit in hard when it breaks through :rofl: I think 1/4" bit will work, just don't go any bigger.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
give one a try. add more holes for a faster drain out.

try to get them close to the base. if you look at the mirror closely it has a slight angle to it. shoot for the low part near the door. the water runs down and fills that area first.

I didn't have this issue with my jeep, but I drilled my friend's up. I did 2 1/8" holes in each one. it doesn't even fill up any more. try just one and see if it drains quick enough. if not, add another nearby.

be careful. it's hollow inside, so don't fire the bit in hard when it breaks through :rofl: I think 1/4" bit will work, just don't go any bigger.
when i drilled into the drivers door i did seem to hit something in there... maybe a bracket or something but it wedged the bit the first time so on the other door i went even slower and made sure not to go too deep. i thank you for the help with this. this has been something that has bothered me from day one about this jeep. so hopefully after this i will have no more problems and that will be one more thing off of the list that i dont like about the JK :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
when i drilled into the drivers door i did seem to hit something in there... maybe a bracket or something but it wedged the bit the first time so on the other door i went even slower and made sure not to go too deep. i thank you for the help with this. this has been something that has bothered me from day one about this jeep. so hopefully after this i will have no more problems and that will be one more thing off of the list that i dont like about the JK :rolleyes:
if you have power mirrors and they still work, I wouldn't worry.

regular mirrors that arm is basically just hollow. no harnesses or wires or anything. you'll be ok

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts

regular mirrors that arm is basically just hollow. no harnesses or wires or anything. you'll be ok
Do jeeps have power mirrors...and dang...I didn't get them :eek:

Just kidding, they don't have this option. :eek:

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
they come standard on saharas and are an option on sports and rubicons.

power windows too :rofl:

I kept mine simple with power nothing.

EDIT: nevermind it's you jk'n :rofl: I know u know better:rofl:

I didn't read the poster name :p

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they come standard on saharas and are an option on sports and rubicons.

power windows too :rofl:

I kept mine simple with power nothing.

EDIT: nevermind it's you jk'n :rofl: I know u know better:rofl:

I didn't read the poster name :p
i have a 2010 sahara and no power mirrors here. the JK's never came with power mirrors that i know of.... i got pretty much every option possible with mine and was told they didnt come with power mirrors? you know something i dont!!!??? i sure wish i had them at times :banghead: got the power windows though

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

defilently something inside if you go in to far... maybe just some sort of braket, or possible i touched the other side.. hmm... either way thanks again and i hope this solves the problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a question about the hinges. Are the hinges aluminum, or steel?

I JUST noticed yesterday that I am starting to get some corrosion around one of the hinges. To me it looks like aluminum corrosion, and not rust. Its hard to tell as it is very minor and still under the paint. I have been in the auto body industry for 21 years now and have seen a lot of rust and corrosion.

Here's my theory, if the hinges are aluminum, my thought is that the corroded aluminum is running down the door and staining the paint. That's my thoughts. If the hinges aren't aluminum, then disregard. I cant check mine as the wife has it right now at work. I can check it later though.

I good way to eliminate the stain is to rub it with some good rubbing compound until it is all gone. Keep a good coat of wax on the vehicle afterwards to help keep it from re-staining. Even the best true carnuba waxes only last for 30 days, so repeating the waxing step will be necessary.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the hinges from what can be seen are only plastic. but, i am sure there are metal brakets inside of the plastic... so with that said i have not taken them off to inspect the inside of them yet so i am unsure. all i know is it is yet another very crappy design by chrysler/jeep.

i usualy keep my jeep waxed once a month and between waxes i use meguirs quick detail after each wash. even with that it continued to leave water stains. so you could possibly be correct in your theory.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I'm not sure if you were joking or not, but the JK's don't have the option of power windows.
Thanks. :punk: GroundHawg almost had me to the point of looking that one up on the jeep site. Saved me the time! :eek:

GroundHawg: :rofl: :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts