Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made the mistakee over the summer of allowing my new 2012 JKU Sahara to get rained in. After my power options in the steering wheel were damaged (and later fixed), I made it a priority to summer-proof my Jeep in order to prevent this from happening again. My QT all weather mats and seat covers are due in today. I'll take the Jeep in next week to have a bedliner sprayed in the entire tub. I am still searching for a waterproof dash cover to protect the dash from prolonged sun exposure as well as water damage to the electrical. I've been able to find a few dash covers online, but none of them seem to be waterproof as they are usually made of carpet. I'm sure I can make something on my own, but I would rather pay for something more form fitting and attractive. Has anyone ever done this? Can anyone offer insight into this?

Thanks in advance.........

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
There was a lady here on the forums making steering wheels covers that extend to the base of the column to protect the all-important clock spring from getting wet.

I inquired via PM as to if she was still making them but I didn't hear back. :(

I'm interested in what comes up on this thread and what people are doing. The dash and other components aren't a concern to me. The windshield would provide enough coverage there IMO.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a lady here on the forums making steering wheels covers that extend to the base of the column to protect the all-important clock spring from getting wet.

I inquired via PM as to if she was still making them but I didn't hear back. :(

I'm interested in what comes up on this thread and what people are doing. The dash and other components aren't a concern to me. The windshield would provide enough coverage there IMO.

Please let me know if you hear back!

I may be missing something, but what would the windshield cover in regards to water damage? I left my top down over the summer and allowed the interior to get rained in. Most of my power options died temporarily and the ones controlled from the stering wheel (including the horn) were not restored until I took it to a dealer. :(

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Please let me know if you hear back!

I may be missing something, but what would the windshield cover in regards to water damage? I left my top down over the summer and allowed the interior to get rained in. Most of my power options died temporarily and the ones controlled from the stering wheel (including the horn) were not restored until I took it to a dealer. :(
The windshield would block rain from getting inside the dash.

Your electronics were FUBAR'd likely because of the clock spring getting wet. It wasn't a cheap fix was it? You protect the clock spring and you're protecting the most important part and saving yourself a lot of potential trouble.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The windshield would block rain from getting inside the dash.

Your electronics were FUBAR'd likely because of the clock spring getting wet. It wasn't a cheap fix was it? You protect the clock spring and you're protecting the most important part and saving yourself a lot of potential trouble.
Not when the vehicle is stationary. :(

It was indeed the clock spring. Thankfully, it was covered under the warranty (this time).

·
Registered
892 Posts
Top down and parked just stick a garbage bag over the steering wheel. No need for a fancy cover that could just get stolen anyways.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Do you want this for driving with or just to protect it while parked? I have used a shower curtain and stuck the suction cup things to the windshield and used the hooks to hold the curtain up. As long at it isn't too windy it'll work, in the wind you need some plastic clamps to hold it better.

Has anyone used a spray of some type to waterproof things?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the ideas, but I wanted something a little more attractive than something I could throw together. My main focus is protecting the electrical from water damage (again).

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you have an X with no power options do they still have the clock spring?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Where can we find the cover as shown in the above video?
Edit... the 1st guy (1st video) was selling them for $300 on ebay... I searched, nothing there.
View the 1st video on YouTube it gives his email address.
There is another guy on YouTube selling a similar item... but both are old videos. The 2nd guys web site is no longer working.
I think the bar is like a shower rod then the upholstery is cut and sewn to fit. I bet you could do the same w/ a tarp and some duct tape. The rod just pops into the lower bolt holes on the A-pillar.

EDIT: Found the guy in the 2nd YouTube video on us.letgo.com
search "Jeep Wrangler Waterproof Dash Cover"
I Googled that phrase and found the image... followed the link to the page on letgo.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Edit... the 1st guy (1st video) was selling them for $300 on ebay... I searched, nothing there.
View the 1st video on YouTube it gives his email address.
There is another guy on YouTube selling a similar item... but both are old videos. The 2nd guys web site is no longer working.
I think the bar is like a shower rod then the upholstery is cut and sewn to fit. I bet you could do the same w/ a tarp and some duct tape. The rod just pops into the lower bolt holes on the A-pillar.

EDIT: Found the guy in the 2nd YouTube video on us.letgo.com
search "Jeep Wrangler Waterproof Dash Cover"
I Googled that phrase and found the image... followed the link to the page on letgo.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
I remember looking up that lady that made the steering wheel covers for the clockspring. She had posted on her company's facebook that she was no longer offering them. So I just keep a trashbag in the seat pocket and toss it over with a bungie around the column if i really need to. But I only do that if the top is on and the doors are off. If the top is off, I just put my trail cover on so that none of the interior gets wet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts