Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ive been looking around at winches (not that I have anyone to buy one) and I noticed that no ones listing if theyre waterproof or not. And in my mind thats a pretty important detail. Can anyone help me out here?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm pretty sure that most winches are "water proof" but it's not like you wanna run them under water all of the time but other than that they are pretty well water tight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahaha yea, I was just wondering. The winters here are really rough and when theres no snow then chances are its gunna rain every few days so I felt the need to ask. Thanks man

·
Registered
109 Posts
Renagade119 said:
Hahaha yea, I was just wondering. The winters here are really rough and when theres no snow then chances are its gunna rain every few days so I felt the need to ask. Thanks man
Not a problem happy to help!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome!! Thanks man! The best part is that my dad has a buddy that works there so we can get em easy :dance: :thumb:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IM FRICKING STOKED!!!! I just looked at one of my dads suppliers and I can get that winch with the synthetic cable and CrMo sling which retails at 1500$, my dad can bring it in for 987$. I told him about the deal and he said he could get it for cheaper if he pushed, Im so exicted!!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
The whole waterproof winch thing seems to be gaining steam but I suspect it's more one upsmanship than anything. Fresh water really doesn't effect low-voltage 12v electric/electronic circuits and most (and all Warn) solenoids are sealed. Not to mention an electric winch motor is basically the same type of motor used to start our engines. And our starter motors that are totally exposed to the elements by being mounted to the bottom of our engines are not even remotely close to being waterproof. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats true. Ive been comparing pricing from my dads suppliers and this bulldog winch is cheaper that the Warn VR8000-s which would be the winch that I would get if I was to buy from Warn. Not to mention that the Bulldog has 1300lbs greater capacity that the Warn winch

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But I am open to other points and will take other arguments into consideration. sorry, shoulda said that earlier. I kinda came on a little Gun-Hoo

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
The Bulldog is just another Chinese import. The American-made Warn has a solid reputation and they'll be around another 50 years to take care of problems as they have the past 50 years. 8,000 lbs. of capacity is more than enough to drag a TJ out of any conceivable situation... not to mention Warn makes larger winches including bigger VR series winches if you still feel you need more capacity than 8,000 lbs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont doubt your products abilities. All Im saying is that my father, who is a franchisee of a large autoparts company in Canada can bring in the Bulldog Alpha 9300 for 150$ less than the Warn VR-8000-s. Im new to the off roading community and Im simply trying to find the best product for my applications, initially I took Warn into great consideration because of its reputation and because its a popular brand. Lately Ive been shifting away from it because of the cost and the more I read the more I see that people are liking other brands over Warn. Im not trying to shoot down Warn, Im simply trying to figure out what would be the best for me, in terms of cost, reputation, peer-recommendation, company-recommendation, product capability, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts